Acropora spp., endangered

CORALations corals at caribe.net
Fri Feb 26 19:26:13 EST 1999

Dear Alina Szmant and Listers:

I'm sorry if you or anyone perceived my comments about Mr. Jaap's letter as
"snotty".  I don't know Walt Jaap...and meant nothing personal. I certainly
apologize to him if he percieved my comments as an attack. It was not meant
that way. His letter was posted with intent to foster discussions and I
discussed. I would offer to buy you and Walt an apologetic beer at the next
conference we mutually attend, but am afraid all the listers will start
hurling insults just to try and cash in on my guilt reflex!

In my own defense...the quotes I commented on were directly taken from Mr.
Jaap's letter specifically to avoid misinterpretations! Endangered Species
Act is also binding in Puerto Rico and USVI's where, as you stated, there
are still living stands of a. palmata. There are also many large dead a.
palmata reefs.  If this species was listed as Endangered we may be able to
use this listing as a tool to protect reefs like the one you visited from
some monstrously ecologically insensitive development. These developments
are clearly not endangered.
This may also prove a useful tool in the fight for better water quality.

I never implied Walt "made" any Endangered Speicies criteria up. This
is unfair.

You make the comment these species don't fit the Endangered Species
criteria based on recruitment and I thank you for listing that criteria.. I
think defending his points in relation to this criteria would have made
Walt's letter stronger. this is just my opinion.     Those questions I
asked about endangered species act were not meant sarcastically....I was
honestly interested in obtaining more information.

 You wrote: "(a) is  below reproductive/recuitment capacity in ALL it's
range (and I just heard last night about great healthy stands of it in
several places in the
 Bahamas), then they won't meet the specific guidelines to be designated as
 endangered species.  In my opinion, based on what I've seen, theyt are
not."

Could you or someone from this list define "below reproductive/recruitment
capacity" and how a healthy stand may indicate this species does not
qualify under this criteria.   Does a healthy stand automatically imply new
new recruits?  How is this evaluated?    Does this mean that as long as
there are healthy stands they will never qualify???    (These are honest
questions...not
meant snotty. I am trying to learn here! )

Again, very sorry for any misunderstandings,

Sincerely,

Mary Ann Lucking
Project Coordinator
CORALations
Amapola 14, Suite 901
Isla Verde, PR 00979
phone/fax: 787-791-7372
corals at caribe.net

----------
> [...]
> Bahamas), then they won't meet the specific guidelines to be designated
as
> endangered species.  In my opinion, based on what I've seen, theyt are
not.

> 3)  Walt never stated that CORAL REEFS shouldn't be protected, nor that
> water quality problems should be ignored, nor any of the other snotty
> comments in the CORALations message.  He simply pointed out that there
are
> numerous other routes and regulations in place other than the  ESA than
> should be used, and in some places are being used, to protect CORAL REEF
> ecosystems, which in the process protect all coral species not just a
> favorite few..
>
> Alina Szmant
>
>    At 12:18 PM 2/26/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >Dear Mr. Jaap:
> >
> >You wrote:   " We do not believe that any of the aforementioned taxa of
> >corals could satisfy the criteria of endangered or threatened species."
> >
> >Can someone discuss this criteria or possibly scan and post?  How does
this
> >designation differ from appendix II listing?
> >
> >You wrote:  "Firstly, to prove that a coral is threatened or at risk
> >throughout the Caribbean, Florida, Bahamas, Bermuda, and places in
between
> >is  costly, time consuming, and might be very difficult to prove the
case."

> >Does this mean there is no data backing compliance to ES criteria for
the
> >taxa listed? I was under the impression that this discussion originated
> >based on evidence which suggests they fit the criteria. Are reefs
> >considered "shared resources" in these regions with respect to such
> >legislation? Would, for example,  a disease diagnosed in one region
> >resulting in extensive mortality of a species of coral be enough of a
cause
> >for concern to protect the same species in other regions given that
these
> >diseases are distributed by currents, or are you saying extensive
> >monitoring is required in each specific region?  In other words, at this
> >point in time, how much investigation actually needs to be done in order
> >see if criteria are met and to what regions would the protection apply?
> >
> >You wrote: "Are corals currently protected from human exploitation by
other
> >statutes
> >and management regimes?  I would like to think so."
> >
> >I would like to think so too. Unfortunately, don't corals continue to
> >decline in large part due to anthropogenic stressors? The big picture is
we
> >don't seem to be "managing" our selves very well.  We can't even manage
> >trade, let alone less direct impacts from run off etc.... Look, for
> >example, at the large black coral galleries on St. Thomas, Cayman and
Las
> >Vegas.  There's a two page magazine add that reads like a documentary in
> >American Skies, the American Eagle magazine promoting this "art." How
are
> >permits allocated for such exploitation with so little knowledge about
the
> >"protected" species?  In St. Thomas, the existence of this well
publicized
> >gallery has encourage neighboring shops to engage in the trade. Many
> >fishermen in the DR are risking their lives to harvest this coral.
> >My only concern about using endangered species act to protect coral is
that
> >the response to the question you posed: "Are corals currently protected
> >from human exploitation by other statutes and management regimes?  would
be
> >answered  as casually with "I would like to think so, they're considered
> >endangered species."
> >
> >You wrote: "Would the endangered species act have provided immunity from
> >these anthropogenic disturbances?    Although, I believe you are
> >specifically referring to groundings when you discuss "anthropogenic
> >events" what about development related stress?   Has the endangered
species
> >act been used to stop development? With respect to groundings, could the
> >endangered species act be used to create legislation which diverts
tanker
> >traffic away from sensitive coral reef areas, minimizing future
groundings
> >and tanker related accidents? Has endangered species act ever been used
> >improve water quality?
> >
> >You wrote: "Natural events such as hurricanes, ENSO related bleaching
> >episodes, and global warming are still occurring in spite of the efforts
> >that the
> > coral protection statutes and management regimes. Would additional
> > protective legislation such as the endangered species program provide
> > more protection to the reef resources?  "
> >
> >I believe the answer to this depends on the proposed protective
> >legislation. We should be using past management failures to discuss
> >additional protective legislation.   With regard to the endangered
species
> >act, I would think we can use this as another tool to minimize
additional
> >anthropogenic stress to protected corals from proposed development and
> >water quality issues.   Your "natural events" argument  better defends
why
> >we should do more....not eliminate a legislative avenue that already
> >exists.
> >
> > You wrote:   Coral populations are very dynamic.  In the case of
Acropora
> >palmata
> >(Lamarck, 1816) there is good evidence that it has gone through boom and
> > bust dynamics for quite some time.
> >
> >Are you suggesting that no anthropogenic stressors are currently
> >contributing to the decline of this species?
> >
> >	I respect you for posting your arguments to the web for discussion. I
also
> >have concerns about the effectiveness of the endangered species act to
> >protect corals.  To many people, corals are just rocks, or rocks with
> >worms.  However, unlike you, I see this as a cause for concern to open
> >discussion about more aggressive comprehensive legislation,  not grounds
> >for abandonment of laws currently on the books.  Other listers have
> >commented that by protecting one species of coral others will benefit.
In
> [...]
> >and other corals benefit by proximity to the species being listed.
> >
> >Sincerely,
> >
> >Mary Ann Lucking
> >Project Coordinator
> >CORALations
> >Amapola 14, Suite 901
> >Isla Verde, PR 00979
> >phone/fax: 787-791-7372
> >corals at caribe.net
> >
> >> From: Walt Jaap STP <JAAP_W at epic7.dep.state.fl.us>
> >> To: coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
> >> Subject: Acropora spp., endangered
> >> Date: Friday, February 26, 1999 6:07 AM
> >>
> >> [Moderator's note: this letter to Tom Hourigan from Walt Jaap was
> >> reprinted with permission from Walt for the purpose of encouraging
> >> discussion and contrasting or complementary viewpoints.]

> >> Dr. Thomas F. Hourigan
> >> Marine Biodiversity Coordinator
> >> Office of Protected Resources, NOAAF/PR
> >> National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
> >> National Marine Fisheries Service
> >> 1315 East-West Highway
> >> Silver Spring, MD 20910
> >> tom.hourigan at noaa.gov
> >>

> >> Dear Dr. Hourigan:
> >>
> >> I am responding to your internet request about Acropora spp. and other
> >> Scleractinian species for inclusion as endangered or threatened
species.
> >> We have encountered this option several times from different groups
over
> >> the years; and have looked at the option to see if it was reasonable,
> >> possible, and would it do a better job protecting corals than the
> >> existing statutes and management regimes.  We have concluded that it
is
> >> not the best approach for several reasons.
> >>
> >> Firstly, to prove that a coral is threatened or at risk throughout the
> >> Caribbean, Florida, Bahamas, Bermuda, and places in between is
costly,
> >> time consuming, and might be very difficult to prove the case.
> >>
> >> Are corals currently protected from human exploitation by other
statutes
> >> and management regimes?  I would like to think so.  In Florida, we
have
> >> a state statute that protects all Scleractinia, Millepora spp, and
> >> Gorgonia spp from harvest, being sold in a commercial establishment,
and
> >> from destruction on the sea floor.  This statute has been in effect
> >> since the mid 1970s.  At the federal level the most extensive coral
> >> protection is found under the Magnuson Act:  The Gulf of Mexico and
> >> South Atlantic Fisherie s Councils cosponsored the work that resulted
in
> >> the Coral and Coral Reef Fishery Management Plan.  This plan parallels
> >> the Florida statute, protecting the Scleractinia, Millepora spp, and
> >> Gorgonia spp. This management regime was recently incorporated into
the
> >> Essential Fish Habitat Plan by the Fishery Management Councils.
> >>
> >> The Department of Interior manages two National Parks (Biscayne and
Dry