Acropora spp., endangered

J. Charles Delbeek delbeek at hawaii.edu
Sat Feb 27 23:37:09 EST 1999

I too am somewhat confused as to what additional protection placing
Acroporids on the ESA will accimplish that is not already being covered.
Could someone who is supporting this idea please outline the additional
protection thus afforded and how this is of benefit compared to
legislation already in place?

I am also perplexed as to how the ESA will protect corals from natural
disasters such as hurricanes, or from other affects attributed to coral
bleaching i.e. increased surface temperatures?

It is somewhat ironic that while many consider Acroporid species
"endangered" in Florida, current legislation makes it extremely difficult
to obtain collection permits to maintain and cultivate these species in
captivity.

J. Charles Delbeek M.Sc.

Aquarium Biologist
Waikiki Aquarium
University of Hawaii

"The fact that my physiology differs from yours pleases me to no end."
Mr. Spock