Acropora spp., endangered

CORALations corals at caribe.net
Sun Feb 28 03:41:21 EST 1999

I've been considering this and listed some examples:

I previously stated how this could be a useful tool to stop a development
which may impact offshore areas where the listed species is found, or
possibly be used to push legislation for stricter clean water
standards...and since posting these comments, have come up with a number of
other things. Endangered Species Act loses its "warm and fuzzy" aspects in
court*, during public hearings...when commenting on Environmental Impact
Statements for developments, when pushing for protective legislation which
can protect spawning grounds etc....Federal courts pay attention to
Endangered Species Act.

I don't think any one would challenge your comment that ESA , or any "coral
reef" legislation would be effective at protecting corals from natural
disasters...but if it can be used to minimize anthropogenic impacts,
wouldn't it help reef damaged by such disasters recover?

I think captive propogation of corals may also prove useful...to an
extent...if well managed. However, good management means restrictions. It
should be difficult to obtain a permit for collection in a species that as
you wrote many seem to consider "endangered".   Collection should also be
one of the easiest anthropogenic stresses to control...but I have doubts as
to if even this protective legislation is effective. Not to say it should
be thrown out....Just to say we should take inventory of what management
works and does not work ........and discuss topics like this.

Why not list? Do we have the data to support?  What does recruitement
capacity mean?
(*.....hope I don't sound mean..comments not meant that way)