Computers for the field

Greg L. Carter gcarter at orf.org
Wed Jul 7 09:53:28 EDT 1999

Greetings coral-listers,

There was some discussion a while back regarding laptop computers
suitable for field use under harsh conditions. I have recently seen some
ads for the Panasonic Toughbook series of laptops. These are shown in
rain and other harsh conditions and are packaged in a magnesium case. I
personally cannot attest for the durability or reliability of these
computers but the retail price on the CF-27 was suggested to be $7500,
and the CF-25 to be $3000.

I have seen two of these computers advertised on the www.ebay.com
auctions site, and have found several listed in closed auctions. I also
did an internet search on "Panasonic Toughbook" and found several
discount retailers. Also check out www.panasonic.com/toughbook.

This is not intended to be an endorsement for the Panasonic computers or
ebay.com. I too an looking for a computer that can survive the beach and
salt spray while doing coral surveys and sea turtle work and thought I'd
pass on my findings.

Best regards, Greg
--
"Mother, mother ocean I have heard your call,
Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tall."

Jimmy Buffet

Greg L. Carter                                http://www.orf.org
gcarter at orf.org                     Oceanic Resource Foundation