Seeking protocol for cyanide testing of fish

J. Charles Delbeek delbeek at hawaii.edu
Fri Jun 4 17:02:38 EDT 1999

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Jonathan Lowrie wrote:

> I am seeking out an easy to use protocol for testing reef fish for cyanide
> use. Some of the ornamental aquarium trade exports from FIJI would like to
> utilize cyanide testing as a means to ensure their stock is ecologically
> collected, and they need a protocol that will provide a positive or negative
> for the presence of cyanide in fishes.
>
> Ideally, this would be a simple test, that can be used in the field.
> However, a more complex protocol could be taught, so any information would
> be appreciated.

Jonathan: As you probably know, the International MarineLife Association,
in conjunction with the Haribon Foundation in the Philippines have
developed and are using a cyanide detection test already, I would suggest
you contact them. Also the USFWS will be exploring the use of such a test
as well soon.

 J. Charles Delbeek M.Sc.

Aquarium Biologist
Waikiki Aquarium
University of Hawaii

"The fact that my physiology differs from yours pleases me to no end."
Mr. Spock