Artificial Reefs source

CORALations corals at caribe.net
Tue Jun 15 14:54:12 EDT 1999

	This is also by no means an endorsement, but for those of you who are
still
interested in artificial reefs, here is another URL that may be of some
interest. http://www.reefball.com Is it me, or do these designs bear some
similarities to each other?
	As distributors of the Reef Ball Artificial Reef Systems in Puerto Rico,
we offer a word of caution to those people working with prefabricated
artificial reef. These designs are powerful fish attractors. If the
projects are not strictly controlled, fish populations can be further
depleted. Our experience has been that some individuals may be tempted to
abuse project guidelines to establish their own private spear fishing
"holes."
	We have seen encouraging results with transplant studies using Reef Balls,
which closely resemble old Montastraea reef in appearance. We believe that
the stability of Reef Balls and their flexibility in placement make them
excellent tools for use in reef restoration projects involving
spur-and-groove-type reefs damaged by ship groundings or hurricanes.
	Everything from used tires to abandoned cars and ships have been sunk in
the name of creating "habitat" for fish, or interesting dive destinations.
We agree that reef systems are so compromised that they can benefit from
creative intervention, but based on the many problems scientists have
documented regarding "trash" reefs (of the past ?) we should be very
cautious when implementing new designs in such a complex ecosystem.

Mary Ann Lucking
Project Coordinator

CORALations
Amapola 14, Suite 901