non-indigenous species in reef systems

Mark Eakin eakin at ogp.noaa.gov
Tue Mar 9 09:43:03 EST 1999

        Reply to:   RE>non-indigenous species in reef systems

Phil,

For the most part, I think you are right.  Most reef systems have not been
invaded by exotics in the normal sense of the word.  Of course, the bug that
wiped out Diadema was most probably an exotic pathogen, with much evidence
pointing to transmission by ships.  However, we are accustomed to this mode
of disease transmission.

There are some exceptions in Hawaii, though.  I just retruned from there and
an exotic macroalga is becoming  a major problem in Kaneohe Bay.  I think
that reef systems have just been lucky so far.

Cheers,
Mark