No subject

Laurie Jeanne Raymundo ljr5 at cornell.edu
Fri May 7 13:20:12 EDT 1999

Hi, all:

I am searching for information on a disease referred to as Porites Purple
Ring Disease, in the Indo-Pacific.  I have seen small massive Porites
colonies often infected with ovoid lesions (2cm diameter), with dead tissue
in the middle of the lesion colonized by algal tufts, and around the
perimeter of the lesion is a very distinctive pink-purple ring.  So, two
questions:  does anyone know if this is the trematode infection that Greta
Aeby reported in 1992 (Greta: if you're out there, I'd love your email
address so we could talk further!) and has anyone heard of any other
publications on this?  It's not on the McCarty-Peters web page, and hasn't
been mentioned much, but those of us in the Indo-Pacific have seen it
around (it was also reported from the Vietname area, I believe).  I'd like
to make sure that the symptoms I'm seeing are the ones others are using to
refer to as Porites Purple Ring.

Thanks to all who answer!

Laurie Raymundo