Porites Pink Blotch Disease

Cindy Hunter cindyh at hawaii.edu
Sat May 8 21:42:26 EDT 1999

I'm here! I just turned email off for a few hours to go out for a snorkle
with Bob Steneck and Jen Smith--looking at war zones betweens Hawaiian
corals and algae.

I am in complete agreement with Les--"pinking" is a general response to
stress in Porites tissues. The source of the pigment(s) is an open
question. I do know that such tissus exhibit an in vivo spectral
absorbance peak at 580 nm--similar to pocilloporin?

What's interesting is why some "bad hair days" persist (turfs or
blue-greens recruit to lesions and hang in there) while others are fairly
benign (coral tissue recovers). It makes me wonder if bacteria or algal
components of the endolithic community (remember the discussion of pink
skeletal bands that some attributed to Bob Buddemeier's alizarin staining
of Pacific corals?) may move in, move up, or become more apparent in some
cases as coral tissues succumb. Les, I think you first brought this
possibility to my attention--areas of dying coral tissue can often look
green, as well as pink.

I also strongly agree with Les, Eric, and Esther--"disease" is a word that
is just beginning to be understood for corals. Let's talk about it.

Cindy