Fusion

Uri Frank frank at alteromonas.zoo.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed May 19 03:56:49 EDT 1999

Dear Emiliano,

Take a look at these few references. This is of course not everything.
There is additional evidence in the literature for tissue compatibility
among young non clone mate polyps in corals and other cnidarians. The
ecological significance of this phenomenon and the fate of the individual
genotypes in such chimeras are not yet fully understood. The molecular
basis of histocompatibility in cnidarians is completely unknown.

Hidaka, M. (1985). Tissue compatibility between colonies and between newly
settled larvae of Pocilloopora damicornis. Coral Reefs 4: 111-116

Ilan, M., Loya, Y. (1990). Ontogenetic variation in sponge
histocompatibility responses. Biol. Bull. 179: 279-286

Shenk, M.A., Buss, L.W. (1991). Ontogenetic changes in fusibility in the
colonial hydroid Hydractinia symbiolongicarpus. J. Exp. Zool. 257: 80-86

Lange, R.G., Dick, M.H., Mueller, W.A. (1992). Specificity and early
ontogeny of historecognition in the hydroid Hydractinia. J. Exp. Zool. 262:
307-316

Frank, U., Oren, U., Loya, Y., Rinkevich, B. (1997). Alloimmune maturation
in the coral Stylophora pistillata is achieved through three distinctive
stages, 4 month post metamorphosis. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B. 264: 99-104

>Hi coralisters,
>
>Iím interested on the phenomenon of fusion among young polyps of corals
>escleractinians. Although this phenomenon is very well known to be plenty
>known
>and common, bibliography on the subject is very scarce. I would like to
>receive
>bibliographical references and opinions on the subject.
> Iíve been wondering :
>What relationship do the larvas have so they join during the settle and fuse?
>Would these larvas be clones of a same colony ?
>Would the colonies of a same place have great genetic similarity making
>possible this phenomenon?
>Which physical and biological factors could influence this phenomenon?
>
> I thank for the attention of you all.
>
>Emiliano N Caldron
>Museu Nacional/Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
>Departamento de Invertebrados
>Quinta da Boa Vista, Sao Cristovao
>20940-040 - Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
>e-mail: calderon at pobox.com