translocation of Porites bommies

EricHugo at aol.com EricHugo at aol.com
Tue Nov 16 13:40:27 EST 1999

In a message dated 11/16/99 10:52:25 AM, delbeek at hawaii.edu writes:

<< Harbour construction, dreging etc might necessitate the need to move large
corals. The same was planned in Hawaii's Kawaihi area of the Big Island
when that harbour was enlarged.

In fact, that is the reason.  I hope Kristen will chime in here, but her
co-worker mentioned to me today that funding is likely for a channel to a
harbor area off Magnetic Island that goes through some large Porites bommies
and that the idea to reroute the channel was not taken.  If I am not
mistaken, I believe that there was a similar situation in Cozumel where large
chunks of reef were relocated.  Was this done by carrying excised chunks
under a barge, if I recall?

Kristen, I sent a list of references to Michelle and they were returned for
some reason.  If you read this, I will try again later.

Eric Borneman