Vieques

Edwin Hernandez-Delgado coral_giac at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 29 17:10:59 EST 1999

Dear coral-listers.

The letter attached below was sent as a carbon copy (CC) to me by Dr. Gene
Shinn. I decided to post it simply because there is still people who claims
that this is more an emotional issue than a scientific issue.  Certainly, we
have to deal with both things. But blaming fishermen for all problems in
Puerto Rican coral reefs outside of Navy's waters is like only being looking
at the point of the iceberg.

Yes, there are many emotional aspects nvolved in this issue. Fifty eight
years of bombs pounding in the backyards of nearly 10,000 residents has
obviously been emotional. A 27% cancer rate has obviously been emotional.
And Viequenses are very clear, no more bombs!  Please, let's not forget that
we are dealing, not only with coral and fish, but with people.

Let's discuss possible management alternatives.  But, has anybody ever asked
the simple question of what are we going to discuss about if there is no
baseline data about the actual status of coral reefs and reef fisheries
within target areas? Should we start by that fact?  We have the expertise to
carry out that type of studies in the University of Puerto Rico, but the
U.S. and the Puerto Rican government seem to be not interested in that. Any
suggestions?

Edwin A. Hernandez-Delgado
University of Puerto Rico