Vieques

EricHugo at aol.com EricHugo at aol.com
Tue Nov 30 08:12:36 EST 1999

I had not read this thread until this morning, having saved it for what has
become an almost "novel-istic" foray of banter and enlightening discussion.
I do have a question that has occurred to me, perhaps from stepping back from
the more involved day-to-day postings. Notwithstanding the other complex
issues that must be addressed, but in terms of the bombing in Vieques and
elsewhere,

Why coral reefs at all?

If a military decides for any reason at all (however senseless and with
whatever locale, human, and other aspects that may be forthcoming), are there
not shallow areas less threatened, less biodiverse, and less ecologically
invasive than the actual coral reefs?  A sandy area a few km's away?  Is
there something special about bombing a reef? I doubt that invertebrates are
being used as animal test subjects for projectile impact studies
later....after all, the US military uses higher primates from even more
threatened habitats for that end!  Seemingly, the use of areas of low
biodiversity nearby would also still passively protect fisheries and other
useries by proximity alone.

And "Wendy Jo":  It was Einstein who quoted,

"I don't know how World War 3 will be fought, but I do know how World War 4
will be fought...with sticks and stones."

If you like that, you should read his other thoughts on peace, disarmament,
and the general state of man.  The US military and out world should engage
such ideas, as well.

Eric Borneman