9ICRS and East Timor

Joel C. Creed jcreed at openlink.com.br
Thu Sep 16 22:02:44 EDT 1999

Coral-List,
I don't agree with Lida Pet-Soede who seems to think that international
pressure won't affect the Indonesian government. Maybe it won't, but if it
won't for human rights I suspect that coral reefs have even less chance. I
also think that Lida missed the point when stating "...now Indonesia is
going through rough times..." - what about East Timor? I'm glad that the
Council of the International Society for Reef Studies is considering the
matter carefully and look forward to receiving their deliberations in due
course.

Best wishes,
Dr Joel C. Creed
IBRAG-DBAV Setor de Ecologia,
Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro - UERJ,
Rua Sao Francisco Xavier 524,
PHLC Sala 220, CEP 20559-900,
Rio de Janeiro, R.J., BRAZIL.

Work Tel. 55 21 587 7328/7614