Bali 2000

John Ware jware at erols.com
Tue Sep 21 08:08:16 EDT 1999

Dear List,

I hope we don't lose sight of the important fact that the ISRS does not
have as its primary purpose a political statement. Rather the ISRS is
meant to be a gathering of as many reef scientists and students as
possible with the intent of maximal information exchange.

It is already clear from the interchange of messages on this List that
some (perhaps many) potential attendees will not go to Bali for any of a
number of reasons: 1- 'political' or philosophical disagreements with
government policies; 2- having been denied entry visas by a possibly
biased government (as Bob has pointed out); or 3- [my favorite] now
becoming worried as to their personal safety and that of the spouses
they may choose to bring along.

ISRS Bali 2000 may have already lost its primary purpose and may
degenerate in to a small gathering that is not truly representative of
the coral reef science community.

John

     *                       John R. Ware, PhD                   *
     *                          President                        *
     *                       SeaServices, Inc.                   *
     *                    19572 Club House Road                  *
     *                Montgomery Village, MD, 20886              *
     *                        301 987-8507                       *
     *                       jware at erols.com                     *
     *                      fax: 301 987-8531                    *
     *     |\/__ Undersea Technology for the 21st Century \      *