ISRS Elections

Richard B. Aronson raronson at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Mon Apr 17 12:39:28 EDT 2000

Dear ISRS Members,

As stated in an earlier message, the ISRS will be holding elections this
fall.  We have modified the procedure somewhat to be sure that members
who do not have access to email will be included.  I am reproducing below
a letter that will soon be mailed to all ISRS members.  In particular,
please note that the deadline for nominations has been extended to June
5, and that nominations must be sent to me in writing by post, by fax, or as
an attachment to an email (our interpretation of the ISRS constitution
is that text in an email message is not sufficient).  Please contact me if
you have any questions about the election or if you are considering
making a nomination and would like more information about the
responsibilities of the Council and officers of the Society.

Best regards,

Rich

Richard B. Aronson
Corresponding Secretary, ISRS
Dauphin Island Sea Lab
101 Bienville Boulevard
Dauphin Island, AL 36528

Voice: (334) 861-7567
Fax: (334) 861-7540
email: raronson at jaguar1.usouthal.edu

TEXT OF LETTER TO ALL ISRS MEMBERS

The International Society for Reef Studies will be holding elections this
year to replace outgoing officers and members of the ISRS Council.  We
will be electing a new Treasurer to replace retiring Treasurer Daphne
Fautin and a new Recording Secretary to replace retiring Recording
Secretary Steven Miller.  In addition, we will be replacing six retiring
members of the ISRS Council: Rolf Bak, Gregor Hodgson, Michel Pichon, Don
Potts, Paul Sammarco and Bernard Thomassin.  (Six members of the ISRS
Council will continue for another two years: Loke-Ming Chou, Heéctor
Guzmaán, Nicholas Polunin, Robert Richmond, Suharsono and Carden
Wallace.)  The tenure of each elected position is 4 years, beginning
January 1, 2001.  These positions are open only to members of ISRS.

I am writing to solicit nominations for these positions.  Nominations
should be sent to me by post or fax, or as an email attachment to
raronson at disl.org.  Nominations submitted as text of an email message
must be confirmed by one of the above methods.  Each nomination should
consist of the person's name, institution and country; the post for which
s/he is running; and a short statement.  The statement should be one
paragraph, in the third person, about the candidate's qualifications for
the position (a brief history of the candidate's involvement in coral
reef work) and objectives while in that position (how the candidate
envisions working to the benefit of ISRS).  Also required by the
Society's bylaws is a statement of disclosure of any financial
arrangements the candidate may have with any publisher of scientific
literature.  Self-nominations are welcome.  If you wish to nominate
someone other than yourself, please ask that person to mail, fax or email
me a confirmation of his/her willingness to run for the office.

DEADLINE:  The previously advertised deadline of April 26 has been
extended to June 5.  The biographical sketches of  all the candidates
will be sent as an insert with the next issue of Reef Encounter (#27),
which will be mailed in July.  Biographical sketches will also be posted
on the ISRS web site, www.nova.edu/ocean/9icrs, until the day ballots are
due.  Ballots will be mailed separately and will need to be returned to
the Corresponding Secretary in September (exact date to be announced).
The results of the election will be announced at the 9th International
Coral Reef Symposium in Bali in October.

This is your chance to participate in running your Society.  I look
forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

Richard B. Aronson