Orange Montastrea cavernosa recruits?

Mikhail Matz matz at ibch.ibch.ru
Fri Aug 4 03:31:48 EDT 2000

    Dear Dr. Murray,
    thank you very much for your posting. So, here comes the reasoning
against photoprotection function of fluorescent pigments from corals.
These pigments are (in the majority of cases) proteins homologous to
green fluorescent protein (GFP) from Aequorea victoria, as we recently
found out  (Matz et al, Nat.Biotechnol. 17: 969-973, 1999).
    We already had a bit of this discussion with prof. Ove
Hoegh-Guldberg of the University of Queensland (oveh at uq.edu.au), who was
also suggesting photoprotection as the major role of fluorescent
proteins. Here is a part of what I wrote to him directly in responce:

Concerning photoprotection I would rather disagree with you. First of
all, corals possess a multitude of low-molecular sunscreen
compounds for this purpose (see, for example, Dunlap, W.C. et al.
Nature's sunscreen from the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. International
Journal of Cosmetic Science 20, 41-51 (1998)), so additional recruitment
of specialized proteins
for the same purpose seems rather tedious. Still, if it still was
protection from UV, there is no difference which
fluorescent color to use - green or red, they are both UV-excitable.
Meanwhile, our most recent data on molecular features of red-emitters
suggest that they are advanced versions of greens, so that a point
mutation would most likely damage
the red protein making it green. Therefore, red color should have some
special role in nature (different from green!)
to be maintained by natural selection, otherwise all the red-emitters
would have long since deteriorated into greens due to mutation pressure.
In addition, red-emitters are heavily suboptimal in comparison to greens
in terms of photoprotection - they all have much lower quantum yields of
fluorescence.

    So, I think that the coral fluorescence file is still far from being
closed.
    I would be happy to continue this discussion, especially taking in
account that the question of the fluorescent proteins function in corals
is exactly the subject of my current research.

sincerely yours

Mikhail Matz, Ph.D.
Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry
Miklukho-Maklaya 16/10