Commercial production of reef corals

Stanley Brown fishxing at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 20 20:38:24 EDT 2000

Dear David,

Farmed corals are very feasible and (at least in the US) there seems to be
a growing demand for them.  They are available from mariculture  operations
as well as small scale (and a few large) inland closed systems which use
artificial sea water and lighting.  Unfortunately,  there are some who are
simply taking larger collected colonies and breaking them up into many
smaller fragments and offering them as propagated specimens.  Larger
collected colonies seem to have a poor survival rate and fragmenting newly
arrived specimens at least offers a chance of survival, although I believe
they should not be offered as propgated or captive grown corals.    Captive
growth colonies can get quite large and taking cuttings (literally pruning
the colony)  becomes a necessity to insure the health and survival of the
colony.  The larger colonies which need routine pruning become excellent
"mother" colonies.

I am not aware of any commercial source for corals propagated sexually.  It
would seem an ideal way to produce large numbers of specimens, however,
grow out time required to reach a marketable size could be an economical
deterrent.

Introduction of non endemic species is an issue.  To ban the culturing of
non endemic would me that local markets (retail) would also need to be
banned.  I suspect that non endemic species are already available in local
consumer markets, not to mention shipments from mailorder/Internet sources
(and there are many).

I believe that there is a larger market for soft corals and the larger
polyp hard coral species.  The small polyp stony corals (SPS) represents a
smaller market.  Species which can live in lower light environments would
have a larger market than those requiring intense lighting.  Finally, for
any and all species, color, color, color!  The more colorful varieties
almost always command a higher price.  Size also has a direct impact on
pricing,  but I believe this is offset by the increased shipping costs.  I

Cheers

Stanley Brown
The Breeder's Registry
Sacramento, California