TNC also has a reef adoption program

Crawdaddy Hale crawdaddyhale at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 24 15:00:36 EDT 2000

:  Jim Hendee <hendee at aoml.noaa.gov>
CC:  coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov, Greg Johnson <buntforhit at hotmail.com>
Save Address
Subject:  Re: Adopt a Reef question
Date:  Sat, 19 Aug 2000 22:42:09 -0700

Reef adoption through "RESCUE THE REEF" is also offered by the international
non-profit land trust THE NATURE CONSERVANCY

https://tncnt.tnc.org/frames/index.html?https://tncnt.tnc.org/tncforms/secure/adopt_reef.asp

Did you know...
Coral reefs are considered the "rainforests of the ocean"?

Corals are animals, not plants, made up of thousands of living organisms
called polyps?

Corals produce a natural sunscreen which chemists are developing to market
in Australia?

Corals' porous limestone skeletons have been used for bone grafts in humans?

French Angel Fish, Little Cayman Island photo by William Garvin

The sad news is...Reefs are being destroyed by pollution, over-fishing,
anchor damage, and destructive fishing practices like dynamiting and use of
toxic chemicals. This fragile environment is sending an SOS to anyone who
will listen. Fish populations are already down. Coral growth is slowing. If
we don't help them, they'll be lost...forever.

How can you help? Join the Rescue the Reef program.

RESCUE THE REEF 10 MOST ASKED QUESTIONS

Why does The Nature Conservancy sponsor reefs for adoption? Coral reefs are
a beautiful and very important marine ecosystem which, like rainforests,
protect a wide diversity of species. Reefs are home to one quarter of all
marine species and we are still learning about the importance of reefs to
land and human life. The Rescue the Reef program permits individuals to do
something direct and positive to protect our reef habitats. It puts into
action the Conservancy's message that there are real opportunities for
individuals to make a difference. By establishing the connection between
concerned individuals and the area they want to protect, The Nature
Conservancy offers the opportunity to save threatened reefs.

May I visit the reef habitat I protect? The Nature Conservancy is working to
protect reefs around the world, and we will tell you where your reef habitat
is located. While reefs such as the Florida Keys are easily accessible,
others are in remote areas of the world and may be ill-equipped for visitors
- so it is not always possible to visit the region. In addition, the health
of an ecosystem is often dependent on its inaccessibility. The Nature
Conservancy does, however, sponsor a wide range of trips to reefs and other
ecosystems. You may contact the Conservancy for information about our
International Trips Program.

How will my money be used? The money you send for Rescue the Reef will be
used to protect selected threatened reef habitats. Funds go to coral
protection work in the Florida Keys, the Caribbean and the Pacific,
including the costs of scientific and diver programs to identify and save
rare species. In addition, a wide range of activities are financed, from
installing mooring buoys to reduce boat damage, to hiring and training park
rangers, conducting environmental education programs, and developing
environmentally compatible methods of resource use that do not destroy the
reef. Your contribution to Rescue the Reef signifies a commitment to finance
the crucial protection of these areas. Your gift is tax-deductible.

Who will own or manage the reef habitat? The Nature Conservancy never takes
reef habitat out of local control. We are committed to developing the local
capacity to manage natural ecosystems and the resources to permanently
protect areas that are threatened. All conservation programs we support are
monitored by the Conservancy and are carried out by local conservationists
in private and public conservation organizations. The reef you protect will
be managed by a local private conservation group or may become part of a
marine park or reserve protected by the government.

What does my Deed signify? It is an honorary deed only. It does not signify
ownership but something much more important: your commitment to do something
specific and tangible to save a critical and threatened ecosystem: the coral
reef communities of tropical waters.

Anemone, Bonaire, Caribbean photo by William Garvin

How can I find out about the reef I protect? Once you protect a reef, The
Nature Conservancy will send you information about the area where it is
located. This will include information about new discoveries of marine
plants and animals, as well as the work being done to protect the area. Two
or three times a year, you'll receive our newsletter, Global Currents
describing the focus and successes of our conservation efforts.

How can I be sure that the reef I rescue is really being protected? The
Nature Conservancy works hard to carefully choose our projects and partners.
The reef you protect is located in a key area where a real opportunity
exists to identify endangered species and establish lasting protection. In
Global Currents, you will be able to read about the actual results that are
being achieved with your investment. If the Conservancy is working there,
you can be sure there is an excellent chance of success.

How did you arrive at $35 for rescuing a reef habitat? We have developed a
specific budget for each Rescue the Reef site. Each budget includes the
expenses for the project such as: scientific and diver programs, mooring and
coral protection safeguards, community education and reef management.
Analyzing the budgets of past and current successful projects, we have
calculated the median figure for funding protection efforts for a "typical"
reef habitat.

How does Rescue the Reef differ from other marine protection efforts? Coral
reef destruction is caused by so many different factors - many of them
originating on land - that a wide variety of efforts are needed to fight the
problem. Lobbying, education and public awareness have all been utilized to
attack reef destruction, and many other kinds of efforts are needed. The
Rescue the Reef program has one main purpose: to provide funds to actively
protect threatened coral reefs and the species that depend on them.

Why should we care about reefs? We are only just learning how much we rely
on reefs and other natural ecosystems. We know that reefs are an important
human food source and provide at least ten percent of all fish consumed by
people. Reef species are being widely researched as the basis for important
medical products, especially for cures of diseases like cancer and AIDS.
Reefs also provide barriers from coastal erosion and provide key recreation
and vacation areas. Reefs are often home to as many plants and animals as
are rainforests, and reef habitat is being destroyed at an alarming rate.

Yes! I'd like to join the Rescue the Reef Program

Copyright 1999 The Nature Conservancy

http://www.tnc.org/frames/index.html?/html/list.html