Legality of Caribbean stony corals on maricultured live rock?

Eric C. Newton ecnewton at operamail.com
Fri Aug 25 07:23:33 EDT 2000

Dia 22 Aug 2000, na 12:03, J. Charles Delbeek a skirbi:

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 capman at augsburg.edu wrote:
>
> > As I understand it, the maricultured live rock being produced in the
> > Florida Keys and elsewhere for the aquarium trade is often colonized
> > by a variety of different stony coral species.  Does anyone on the
> > list know enough about the CITES regulations (which as I understand it
> > prohibit the keeping of Caribbean stony corals in aquaria) to say
> > whether keeping these otherwise illegal corals in aquaria is legal if
> > they crop up on legally produced cultivated live rock?
>
> Bill: I don't think it is illegal to keep any stony corals in
> captivity. CITIES is primarily a tracking system to help keep track of
> the movement of organisms around the world as well as to regulate their
> export and import. I do not believe Caribbean corals are treated any
> differently by CITIES than say stony corals from Fiji. What DOES differ
> are the regulations of individual countries and states as to collection
> and import/export live coral. For example, it is illegal to collect
> stony corals in Hawaii, it is illegal to export stony corals and it is
> illegal to import soft and stony corals, unless you have the necessary
> permits.
>
> Regarding the coral that settles out on aquacultured live rock in
> Florida waters, this is perfectly legal according to state regulations
> concerning live rock aquaculture. These sites are situated in open sandy
> plains, far from any actual reefs. The feeling is that any corals or
> other organisms that settle on rock in these barren areas, would not
> have settled there to begin with.
>
> Aloha
> J. Charles Delbeek

Still, a CITES permit is needed if this live rock is exported. As corals
are listed on Appendix II of CITES, such a permit can be issued if a
Scientific Authority declares that this export will not be detrimental to
the survival of the species in the wild, which will probably be the case.

Cheers,

Eric C. Newton
Neth. Antilles