Julian Sprung's email.

Billy Causey Billy.Causey at noaa.gov
Sun Aug 27 11:25:20 EDT 2000

Ove and others,

I am interested in your comments about the role of oxygen.  For years I have sounded like a broken
record, exclaiming that while hot water is one of the stressors leading to coral bleaching, that I
suspect the slick-calm, doldrum weather patterns lead to a drop in dissolved oxygen levels in the coral
reef environment, especially at night.  I sometimes think we take the level of dissolved oxygen on
coral reefs for granted .... and tend to not believe there could be a significant enough change to
affect corals for example.

During years when we have had severe bleaching in the Florida Keys, I have observed reef fish respiring
very heavily .... in the middle of the day.  So I have often suspected the oxygen levels as being low
.... during "hot water" events ... even during daylight hours.

Is it possible that the zooxanethellae, existing inside the coral polyp tissue starts competing with
the coral polyp for oxygen at night ... when dissolved oxygen levels are low anyway .... and something
has to give?  Imagine ... day after day and night after night, during periods of low mixing and natural
aeration of surface waters, the oxygen level drops below a threshold and the coral polyp is in a state
of competing for oxygen with the zooxanethellae.

Folks ... be kind to me!  I am not a coral physiologist, in fact I wasn't very good in biochemistry
.... just a coral reef manager with thousands of hours of observations that make me think the coral
bleaching trigger and mechanisms are simpler than we realize.  I am curious about opinions on this
idea.

Cheers, Billy Causey

--
Billy D. Causey, Superintendent