[Fwd: Another great contribution of aquaculture practices!!]

Ron Hill Ron.Hill at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 28 17:39:49 EDT 2000

This message from the fish-sci list is worth passing on to the
coral-list.  I was trying to compose a response to the  question about
the culture of exotic corals near the Red Sea and the danger of
releasing non-native corals in the surrounding area when this came
across my computer screen.  It is exactly the point I wanted to
make...about the adaptability of species and the fallibility of our
safeguards.  The Atlantic Salmon farmed on the west coast are supposed
to be contained throughout their lives and never released - they have
escaped.  They were not supposed to venture into fresh water -- they
have.  They were not supposed to be able to breed even if they did
escape - there is every indication that there are now breeding
populations and the impacts on native salmon and trout are yet to be
determined.

This same scenario (mistake) has been repeated over and over.  When are
we going to learn that the only environmentally friendly aquaculture
means native species only when there is even the most remote possibility
of escape?

ron