Julian Sprung's email.

Jamaluddin Jompa jamaluddin.jompa at jcu.edu.au
Wed Aug 30 21:12:15 EDT 2000

Dear  Jonathan Kelsey and Coral listers,

I am interested in your suggestion on the possibility of macroalgal shading
in reducing
the effect of bleaching on corals (point 2 below). During the 1998 mass
coral bleaching
event, on the inshore reefs of the GBR, we observed relatively lower rate
of bleached
corals in control plots where macroalgal (mainly Sargassum)canopy were left
intact (dense
and ~ 1 m high) compared to plots where the canopy had been experimentally
removed. I would
be pleased to hear more information about this phenomenon.

The preliminary result can be seen on
http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/corp_site/info_services/publications/reef_research/
issue2_98/2seaweeds.html

Best regard,