The trouble with high profile reef science

Ove Hoegh-Guldberg oveh at uq.edu.au
Sun Dec 3 16:01:40 EST 2000

Dear Mark,

I don't see that there is too much of a difference of opinion here.
Thinking globally and acting locally is a good call (even if clichéd).   No
one would seriously dispute that.  As someone who also works in Indonesia, I
am under no illusion as to the scale of "local" problems that face the reef
resources of that developing country.

The one viewpoint/opinion that I would dispute is the negative effect of
drawing attention to issues like climate change (which I guess is the major
point of your email).  The urgency and scale of the response to that
particular issue (as with blast fishing and water quality) would militate
that it would be very negligent to sit on one's hands and not make clear
expert statements or take action on the issue.  Recent effective
deliberations on climate impacts and solutions (or the lack thereof) in the
Hague emphasize this point.  Unless we are clear about the potential impacts
of climate change, the policy makers at the international level will find it
hard to take the urgent action required to reduce the scale of future
damage.  If you think telling them that climate change represents a serious
threat to coral reefs is tricky, try asking them to define a forest for you!

So - to the issue:  "how does one present expert advice on the problems that
face reef systems."  Controlling headlines would be useful but is
impossible.  Equally, and I think more damaging, the appearance of
scientists quibbling over which stress is "bigger and badder" may also lead
to non-productive outcomes and headlines.  I think we have to go beyond
these issues and provide clearer responses to those trying to find solutions
(and loopholes!).

As you and I have discussed before, weighing up immediate human needs versus
sustainable reef usage presents a similar (confusing to some) set of
arguments.  Similar "reasons" for inaction might also eventuate from this
situation.  Equally, negligence on Greenhouse by developed countries like
Australia, Europe and the USA may provide a convenient excuse not to take
action on local reef issues in Indonesia.  However, as we know, this
argument does not present a water tight or even logical argument for
inaction.  Hence a greater role for champions of reef protection such as
yourself.  Rather than dream of controlling headlines, you should be ready
with the argument that climate change will mean that reefs will be even more
vulnerable to local scale threats than before.  That there is a greater not
reduced need for action.  In the same breathe, you may also ask why
Indonesia is so intransient and impotent when it comes to real political
action at the international level against countries like Australia and the
USA.

So if we are into take home messages - avoiding mention or watering down
statements on issues at either end of the spectrum of problems facing reefs
is no solution.  The only solution is to make sure that policy makers
realise that climate change will make the management of local reef stressors
more and not less urgent. Given the coherence of assaults from global and
local levels, immediate and appropriate action at all these levels is
urgently required.

Regards,

Ove