Fwd: aquariums save reefs

Osha Gray Davidson osha at oshadavidson.com
Mon Dec 4 12:17:29 EST 2000

I've been following this thread with great interest. I'm particularly
interested to find out more about positive examples of what Doug is talking
about: Individuals or groups "farming" reef organisms--fish, corals,
etc.--for the home aquaria trade. (My understanding is that the giant clams
Doug mentions aren't destined for aquaria, but for human consumption. Is
that correct?)

For my own particular research needs, I'm interested only in examples in
Fiji, Tahiti or Moorea, or Rangiroa, but I think others on the list would
probably like to hear from those involved in such worthwhile work in other
areas.

Cheers,
Osha

From: Doug Fenner <d.fenner at aims.gov.au> Fri, 01 Dec 2000 09:53:05
--------------- Text of forwarded message ---------------
    My own guess is that taking things from the wild is a form of mining a
natural resource, and leads to the "tragedy of the commons", a sort of gold
rush were if you don't get it first, others will get all the good stuff,
since no one owns it.  The above examples fit this, and they are the rule
not the exception.  The exception is where someone owns the resource, and
has to protect and grow it to have a crop to harvest and sell, as in
mariculture.  Giant clam farms would be an example, but presently there are
few others.  So a coral farm could lead to locals valuing and protecting
the farm area (reef or not), but collecting from the reef will most likely
only lead to a culture of grabbing as much as fast as possible, regardless
of consequences.  So maybe it all depends on how its done.

Osha Gray Davidson          Home page: www.OshaDavidson.com
14 S. Governor St.          Phone: 319-338-4778
Iowa City, IA 52240         E-Mail: osha at oshadavidson.com
USA