Coral Collection

James M. Cervino cnidaria at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 23 15:06:35 EST 2000

POST: Also, live coral collection facilities with which I am familiar do not
clear cut and most certainly do not operate with "no regulation". Just
about any island nation involved in this trade today has some type of
local governing body who oversees the industry.

James:  I have not seen this "local governing body" over seeing the
collection methods.  Tell me where they operate and I would like to visit
this regulated team of environmentally passionate collectors.  Or are you
referring to what you are being told in the USA by the overseas
wholesalers? Why is it that these governing bodies are not (while
collecting corals)  stopping the dynamite fishing and NaCN fishing that are
damaging their beautiful reefs? I am not saying that they are doing this on
top of each other, however, they must hear the blasting in close proximity
to where they are collecting? One would think that these eco sensitive
collectors would have an influence on these groups who are applying
destructive methods?  Every area that I have seen was overexploited by all
types of collectors, period.  Have you seen the areas outside the
Philippines?

POST: Others, the Solomon's being a prime example, have Fisheries agencies
that require paperwork that is equivalent to CITIES documents. Without
them, you simply do not export. And certainly you are not going to suggest
that shipments are arriving into LAX without
supporting paperwork, are you?

James: Where did I suggest this?

GARF's offerings are limited and those parent stock must come from
somewhere. Don't think for a second that the existing parent stock
within the industry are sufficient to sustain only captive bred animals
from this point forward. The captive bred industry is still in its
infancy and we still have much to learn with respect to propagation of
many of these animals. And since you seem to like their twist, take a
look at http://www.garf.org/news25p1.html#unit the first two pictures.
That's ocean cultured stock, not captive.

James: I agree that there is a parent stock that came from somewhere. All I
am saying is that there are highly skilled people doing this, why not just
purchase the corals from  each other? Do you not care about the reef
environment enough to want positive change ? Do you really think that the
current methods are sound? Given the CURRENT status of reefs today why can
you not see this as destructive? I guess you don't, and there is nothing I
can do to change your mind.  Reefs are experiencing numerous threats from a
multiple of factors. At the number of places I have visited in the past 20
years, I have not seen any positive regulation at the SITES of collection
and fishing.  As far as the coastal peoples collecting in these nations,
they are suffering in the long run due to the current applications applied.
The reason I became vocal was due to the suffering I see from the current
applications used in this trade.  I think you need to visit some of these
areas. You might end up with a different opinion.

POSTING:  To think that an outright ban on fish and coral collection
implemented immediately is going to resolve a significant part of the
problem is just plain ridiculous. Responsible reef management programs
can be implemented and made to work.

JAMES POST: Who are these groups, I would love to visit these sites??  .
Also, I am offering alternative methods, farming similar to the group in
the Solomon's.  We are never going to agree, and I apologize to the list
for constantly debating with the aquarium advocates, and I will e-mail with
you directly.  Again please read what I am saying: Coral Farming Programs,
Net collection methods as the IMA are applying, and closed system aquarium
sales.  I posted with alternative methods from Web Sites I saw on line.

James M. Cervino
Marine Biologist
Dept. of Biology/Geology
471 University Pkwy. Aiken