unexpect whale visit

Sollins, Phil Phil.Sollins at orst.edu
Tue Jan 18 16:20:05 EST 2000

Book called Destroyer Commander (believe it or not, an interesting book)
tells of a Navy destroyer impaling a whale a few miles outside San
Francosco harbor.  Destroyer finally shook it off its bow, then sucked the
corpse through the props at full speed, esentially covering the stern with
whale debris.  They had Navy League spouses and kids on board at the time
who found the whole thing more than a little upsetting (though no doubt
suffering less than the whale).