Orange Montastrea cavernosa recruits?

Iain Macdonald I.Macdonald at mmu.ac.uk
Tue Jul 25 10:10:00 EDT 2000

During a recent field trip i noted the following along my transects.

M. cavernosa recruits (i use the plural as this was seen three
different times), of only one polyp was noted at approx. 15-20m depth
to appear to the unaided eye as fluorescent orange. Close by (ie
10cm away) 5 polyps were the typical olive green colour with this
"day glow" orange colour around its edges. Again a few cms away
larger colonies 20-25 polyps were only olive green. Is this typical
for recruits (i think not) or maybe as a result of some stress
(sediment) stimulus? I was startled to see such colour from this type
of coral and would like to konw of any other observations.

Cheers

Iain Macd.

Room E402 John Dalton Extension Building,
Department of Environmental and Geographical Science,
Manchester Metropolitian University,
Chester Street,
Manchester,
M1 5GD