problems in Cuban coral reef

Billy Causey billy.causey at noaa.gov
Thu Jun 1 00:30:14 EDT 2000

Dear Elena,
During the massive 1987 coral bleaching in the Florida Keys (which was also
reported in other parts of the Caribbean and the Pacific), I documented large
mats of purplish colored "algae" covering the sand bottom.  At the time I
thought it was a "blue-green" algae, but noticed at the time it looked very
similar to the cyanobacterium (black band) that was abundant on the coral
heads.  I have video of the mats which were very extensive and completely
covered the sand bottom.  There were also mats on the reef itself.

Feel free to contact me directly if you want more information.  Cheers, Billy

--
Billy D. Causey, Superintendent
Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary