Wanted/Needed --The Right Stuff

Ursula Keuper-Bennett howzit at turtles.org
Wed Jun 7 07:12:00 EDT 2000

Greetings,

USA JOBS has announced an opening for a special job --that of Program
Analyst for the National Marine Fisheries Service Southwest Region,
Honolulu, Hawaii.  Because I dive with sea turtles (I've known the same
individual animals since 1989-90) I have enormous interest in finding the
right person for this position.

There are over 6 billion people on this planet and I'm trying to find the
right one!

I have a request --and some comments.

I'm hoping the members of this list will read all of this and then, if you
know of someone who would be REALLY GOOD in this Program Analyst job, I'd
be appreciative if you forwarded my message to that person.  This is a job
that will clearly affect sea turtles --and sea turtles need and DESERVE The
Right Stuff!

(Frankly in Hawaii they're USED to it!)

The ad says that the job is:

"Full-time  Permanent"

That means someone full time and permanent will be hired to "facilitate the
development and implementation of NMFS  fisheries conservation and
management policies and programs in the central and western Pacific
Ocean".

"central and western Pacific Ocean" is a BIG area.  Leatherbacks ply their
way there.  Honu call it home.  J's Yamilet, (and Adelita before her) use
that corridor getting to Japan.  Sea turtles LIVE there.  This job is very
important to sea turtles during a critical TIME for sea turtles in the
Pacific.

There's zero doubt that whoever the successful applicant is, he/she will
play a crucial role in the future of sea turtle conservation in the central
and western Pacific.

Call me selfish but we want someone knowledgeable and sympathetic towards
sea turtles doing the development and implementation.  I really believe we
need a sea turtle champion here.  I'm hoping this message reaches
him/her/you.

I keep reading the major duties --especially those that directly affect sea
turtles.  Perhaps you or someone you know is perfect for this assignment.

1.  Facilitate the development and implementation of NMFS fisheries
conservation and management policies
     and programs in the central and western Pacific Ocean by reviewing
proposed projects and fishery
     management.

2.  plans and develops recommendations to minimize adverse impacts to
protected resources

3.  coordinates and oversees the recovery team activities and develops and
implements recovery actions

4.  coordinates with the observer program relating to protective species
interactions

     (Hah!  Considering NMFS laid off 12 of the 14 inspectors in Hawaii
this shouldn't take TOO much
     coordination.  This is probably the easiest part of the job!)

5.  (And this is a big one in how it can affect sea turtles) participates
in inter-agency groups and
     facilitates cooperation to provide for the conservation and recovery
of protected species and their
     habitats.

Sounds like right out of Mission Impossible!

I scanned for the word "turtle" in the ad and it only came up once --in
this sentence.

         A.  Selective Placement Factor: In addition to the above
requirements,
         consideration will only be given to applicants with experience
developing and
         implementing participation plans under Section 4 of the Endangered
Species Act
         and related laws for the conservation and recovery of sea turtles.

"and related laws for the conservation and recovery of sea turtles."  That
means the implementation of the Recovery Plans for the US Pacific.  And
that includes leatherbacks, greens, hawksbills, olives and even
loggerheads.

It's obvious what's needed here.

A VISIONARY WITH STRONG HEAD AND HEART. Someone special with solid
biological knowledge and training in sea turtles would be PERFECT for this
job!

The ad posts requirements but it's written in GovSpeak.  So I'll provide
the necessary translation.  As you read this, please see if you --or
someone you respect a great deal-- has these qualifications.

"Qualifications Required:

         Quality Ranking Factors: (*=Critical):

         1) *Knowledge of the Marine Sanctuaries Act, Marine Mammal
Protection Act,
         Endangered Species Act, Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and
Management
         Act, Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species
Treaty, and other
         natural resource statues and related regulations, programs, and
practices;"

TRANSLATION:  This is the Number One most important thing we need.  We need
someone with a strong working knowledge of a whole pile of regulations,
statues, programs etc etc dealing with anything aquatic.  We're looking for
an EXPERT.

         (2)
         *Ability to interpret, analyze, and apply pertinent laws and
regulations to
         develop recommendations on fisheries management, protected
species, and
         habitat conservation strategies;

TRANSLATION:  We're looking for someone REALLY SPECIAL (or with the
potential and desire to be) who can take his/her working knowledge of the
"regs" and apply them effectively to real life situations.  You'll be
calling the shots in this part of the Pacific regarding fisheries,
protected species and their habitats.

While NMFS won't tell you this, you'll be playing God because your
decisions and actions will be far-reaching right through this millennium.

         (3)
         * Ability to assimilate information from
         many sources and use the information to identify potential issues,
prepare
         reports, analyze and evaluate current programs, recommend policy
changes, etc;

TRANSLATION:  This ain't a 9 to 5 job.

         (4)
         * Skill in interacting with Pacific Island cultures and with
other
         governments, national/state/local offices, the scientific
community, and other
         organizations such as public interest groups and the
media.

TRANSLATION:  It would be great if you're already comfortable with the
locals and culture in Hawaii and maybe even did a stint around some other
Pacific islands.  But if you haven't and you quality in every other way all
we're really looking for is the right MINDSET.

We need you to MATTER!

We need you to keep an open mind, genuinely respect other people's views,
be prepared to do more listening than talking --and to genuinely like
working with people.  As much as you might care about sea turtles, monk
seals, whales, and fishes you have to appreciate humans first.  Yours will
be a delicate dance.

Last a reminder:

Closing