Bioluminescence in Puerto Mosquito

Beatrice Seliger b_seliger at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 29 16:25:49 EDT 2000

     I am very much interested in corresponding with anyone who has studied
or made measurements of the bioluminescence and the organisms in Puerto
Mosquito on the island of Vieques, Puerto Rico during the past 30 years.

     I published the original papers describing the mechanismd by which
Pyrodinium bahamense var. bahamense blooms persistently in Oyster Bay,
Jamaica, and in Bahia Fosforescente on the southwest coast of Puerto Rico,
and also made a series of measurements in Puerto Mosquito (reprints
available on request). Unfortunately Oyster Bay and Bahia Fosforescente have
been impacted seriously. Puerto Mosquito appears to be the last remaining
relatively pristine bioluminescent bay.

     I plan to make another series of measurements in Puerto Mosquito,
within the next few months, to compare with what I found 30 years ago.
     It would be extremely helpful to have data on species compositions and
abundances, nutrients, state of the surrounding mangroves, etc...determined
anytime after 1970, in order to develop a more complete picture.  I would be
agreeable to collaboration on joint authorship of any paper that
incorporated meaningful data obtained during this intermediate period.

Prof. Howard Seliger
McCollum Pratt Inst. and Dept. of Biology
The Johns Hopkins University
3400 N. Charles Street
Baltimore MD 21218
e-mail seliger at jhu.edu