CORAL DISEASE REFERENCES

Laurie Richardson richardl at fiu.edu
Wed Mar 22 11:08:13 EST 2000

Dear Fellow Coral-Listers:

I've already received over 60 requests for the list of coral disease
peer-reviewed publications.  Instead of sending this to everyone
individually, I will paste the list here and also attach it as a
word-processing file.  The webmaster of this listserver has graciously
offered to add coral disease publications to the CHAMP (Coral Health and
Monitoring Program) data base.  With the help of a CHAMP-associated
Librarian, I will soon be able to add the list, plus associated
abstracts, to the CHAMP coral reef references.

If you have any peer-reviewed coral disease papers that are not included
in the list, please send them to me (copy of paper to: Dr. Laurie
Richardson, Biology Department, Florida International University, Miami,
Florida, 33199, USA) and I will include it as we put together the CHAMP
coral disease reference site.   At this time I have not included papers
in press.  I have also not included abstracts and non-peer reviewed
papers about coral diseases.

Thanks so much for your interest.   Laurie Richardson
***************

Coral Disease References: Peer-Reviewed Literature

Antonius, A. (1981). “Coral reef pathology: A review.”  Proceedings of
the Fourth International Coral Reef Symposium 2: 3-6.

Antonius, A. (1981). “The "Band" diseases in coral reefs.” Proceedings
of the Fourth Internaltional Coral Reef Symposium 2: 7-14.

Antonius, A. (1985). “Black band disease infection experiments on
hexacorals and octocorals.” Proceedings of the 5th International Coral
Reef Symposium 6: 155-160.

Antonius, A. (1985). “Coral diseases in the Indo-Pacific: A first
record.” PSZNI Mar Ecol 6: 197-218.

Antonius, A. (1988). “Distribution and dynamics of coral diseases in the
eastern Red Sea.” Proceedings of the Sixth Internaltional Coral Reef
Symposium 3: 145-150.

Antonius, A. and E. Ballesteros (1998). “Coral reef health problems in
the Caribbean.” Revista de Biología Tropical 46 (Supplement 5):
xxx-xxx.

Aronson, R. and W. Precht (1997). “Stasis, biological disturbance, and
community structure of a Holocene coral reef.”   Paleobiology. 23:
326-346.

Bruckner, A.W. and R.J. Bruckner (1997). “The persistence of black band
disease in Jamaica: Impact on community structure.”  Proceedings of the
8th International Coral Reef Symposium I: 601-606.

Bruckner, A. W., R.J. Bruckner, and E.H. Williams (1997). “Spread of a
black-band disease epizootic through the coral reef system in St. Ann's
Bay, Jamaica.” Bulletin of Marine Science 61: 919-928.

Carlton, R. and L. Richardson (1995). “Oxygen and sulfide dynamics in a
horizontally migrating cyanobacterial mat: Black band disease of
corals.” FEMS Microbiology Ecology 18: 155-162.

Done, T. J. (1992). “Phase shifts in coral reef communities and their
ecological significance.” Hydrobiologia 247: 121-132.

Ducklow, H. and R. Mitchell (1979). “Observations on naturally and
artificially diseased tropical corals:  A scanning electron microscope
study.” Microbial Ecology 5: 215-223.

Dustan, P. (1977). “Vitality of reef coral populations off Key Largo,
Florida: Recruitment and mortality.” Environmental Geology 2: 51-58.

Dustan, P. and J. C. Halas (1987). “Changes in the reef-coral community
of Carysfort Reef, Key Largo, Florida: 1974-1982.” Coral Reefs 6:
91-106.

Edmunds, P. J. (1991). “Extent and effect of black band disease on
Caribbean reefs.”  Coral Reefs 10: 161-165.

Epstein, P. R. (1998). Marine Ecosystems: Emerging Diseases as
Indicators of Change, HEED Global Change Program: 85 pp.

Feingold, J. (1988). “Ecological studies of a cyanobacterial infection
on a Caribbean sea plume Pseudopterogorgia acerosa
(Coelenterata:Octocorallia).” Proceedings of the Sixth Internaltional
Coral Reef Symposium 3: 157-162.

Garrett, P. and P. Ducklow (1975). “Coral disease in Bermuda.” Nature
253: 349-350.

Geiser, D.M., J.W. Taylor, K.B. Ritchie and G.W. Smith (1998). “Cause of
sea fan death in the West Indies.” Nature 394: 137-138.

Gladfelter, W. B., E. H. Gladfelter, R.K. Monahan, J.C. Ogden and R.F.
Dill (1977). “Environmental studies of Buck Island Reef National
Monument, St. Croix US Virgi Islands.” Special Report of the National
Park Service, US Dept. Interior. 173 pp.

Gladfelter, W. (1982). “Whiteband disease in Acropora palmata:
Implications for the structure and growth of shallow reefs.”  Bulletin
of Marine Science 32: 639-643.

Goldberg, W. M., J. C. Makemson, and S.B. Colley (1984). “Entocladia
endozoica sp. nov., a pathogenic Chlorophyte: Structure, life history,
physiology, and effect on its coral host.” Biological Bulletin 166:
368-383.

Goreau, T. J., J. Cervino, M. Goreau, R. Hayes, M. Hayes, L. Richardson,
G. Smith, K. DeMeyer, I. Nagelkerken, J. Garzon-Ferrera, D. Gill, E. C.
Peters, G. Garrison, E. H. Williams, L. Bunkley-Williams, C. Quirolo and
K. Patterson (1998). “Rapid spread of diseases in Caribbean coral
reefs.” Revista de Biología Tropical 46(Supplement 5): 157-171.

Harvell, C. D., K. Kim, J.M. Burkholder, R.R. Colwell, P.R. Epstein,
D.J. Grimes, E.E. Hofmann, E.K. Lipp, A.D.M.E. Osterhaus, R.M.
Overstreet, J.W. Porter, G.W. Smith, G.R. Vasta (1999). “Emerging marine
diseases - climate links and anthropogenic factors.” Science 285:
1505-1510.

Hayes, R. L. and N. I. Goreau (1998). “The significance of emerging
diseases in the tropical coral reef ecosystem.” Revista de Biología
Tropical 46(Supplement 5):173-185.

Hudson, J. (1981). “Growth rates of Montastrea annularis: A record of
environmental change in the Key Largo National Marine Sanctuary,
Florida.” Bulletin of Marine Science 31: 444-459.

Kushmaro, A., Y. Loya, M. Fine and E. Rosenberg (1996). “Bacterial
infection and coral bleaching.” Nature 380: 396.

Kuta, K.G. and L.L. Richardson (1996). “Abundance and distribution of
black band disease of corals in the northern Florida Keys.” Coral Reefs
15: 219-223.

Kuta, K.G. and L.L. Richardson (1997). “Black band disease and the fate
of diseased coral colonies in the Florida Keys.” Proceedings of the
Eighth International Coral Reef Symposium 1: 575-578.

Littler, M. M. and D. S. Littler (1995). “Impact of CLOD pathogen on
Pacific coral reefs.” Science 267: 1356-1360.

Nagelkerken, I., K. Buchan, G.W. Smith, K. Bonair, P. Bush, J.
Garzon-Ferrera, L. Botero, P. Gayle, C. Heberer, C. Petrovic, L. Pors
and P. Yoshioka (1997). “Widespread disease in Caribbean sea fans: I.
Spreading and general characteristics.” Proceedings of the Eighth
International Coral Reef Symposium I: 679-682.

Nagelkerken, I., K. Buchan, G.W. Smith, K. Bonair, P. Bush, J.
Garzon-Ferrera, L. Botero, P. Gayle, C.D. Harvell, C. Heberer, K. Kim,
C. Petrovic, L. Pors and P. Yoshioka . (1997). “Widespread disease in
Caribbean sea fans: II. Patterns of infection and tissue loss.” Marine
Ecology Progress Series 160: 255-263.

Ogden, J. (1997). “Caribbean Coastal Marine Productivity (CARICOMP): A
research and monitoring network of marine laboratories, parks, and
reserves.” Proceedings of the Eighth International Coral Reef Symposium
I: 647-650.

Paul, J. H. and E. Vacelet (1981). “Elevated levels of microbial
activity in the coral surface monolayer.” Marine Ecology Progress Series
33: 29-40.

Peters, E.C., J.J. Oprandy and P.P. Yevich (1983). “Possible cause of
"white band disease" in Caribbean corals.” Journal of Invertebrate
Pathology 41: 394-396.

Peters, E. (1984). “A survey of cellular reactions to environmental
stress and disease in Caribbean scleractinian corals.” Helgol.
Meeresunters. 37: 113-137.

Peters, E. (1993). Diseases of other invertebrate phyla: Porifera,
Cnidaria, Ctenophora, Annelida, Echinodermata. Boca Raton, FL, CRC
Press.

Porter, J. and O. Meier (1992). “Quantification of loss and change in
Floridian reef coral populations.” American Zoologist 23: 625-640.

Porter, J. W., S. K. Lewis and K.G. Porter (1999). “The effect of
multiple stressors on the Florida Keys coral reef ecosystem: A landscape
hypothesis and a physiological test.” Limnology and Oceanography 44:
941-949.

Ramos-Flores, T. (1983). “Lower marine fungus associated with black line
disease in star corals (Montastraea annularis).” Biological Bulletin
165: 429-435.

Richardson, L. (1996). “Motility patterns of Phormidium corallyticum and
Beggiatoa spp. associated with black band disease of corals.” Microbial
Ecology. 32: 323-335.

Richardson, L.L., K.G. Kuta, S. Schnell and R.G. Carlton. (1997).
“Ecology of the black band disease microbial consortium.”   Proc. Eighth
International Coral Reef Symposium 1: 597-600.

Richardson, L. L. (1997). “Occurrence of the black band disease
cyanobacterium on healthy corals of the Florida Keys.” Bulletin of
Marine Science 61(2): 485-490.

Richardson, L., W.M. Goldberg,  K.G. Kuta, R.B. Aronson, G.W. Smith,
K.B. Ritchie, J.C. Halas, J.S. Feingold and S.M. Miller (1998).
“Florida's mystery coral killer explained.” Nature.

Richardson, L. L., W. M. Goldberg, R.G. Carlton and J.C. Halas (1998).
“Coral disease outbreak in the Florida Keys: Plague type II.” Revista de
Biología Tropical 46(Supplement 5): 187-198.

Richardson, L. L. (1998). “Coral diseases: what is really known?” Trends
in Ecology and Evolution 13(11): 438-443.

Ritchie, K.B. and G.W. Smith (1995). “Carbon-source utilization patterns
of coral-associated marine heterotrophs.” Journal of Marine
Biotechnology 3: 107-109.

Ritchie, K.B. and G.W. Smith (1995). “Preferential carbon utilitzation
by surface bacterial communities from water mass, normal, and white-band
diseased Acropora cervicornis.” Molecular Marine Biology and
Biotechnology. 4: 345-352.

Ritchie, K. B. and G. W. Smith (1998). “Description of type II white
band disease in acroporid corals.” Revista de ???????a Tropical
46(Supplement 5): 199-203.

Rutzler, K. and D. Santavy (1983). “The black band disease of Atlantic
reef corals. I. Description of the cyanophyte pathogen.” P.S.Z.N.I:
Marine Ecology 4: 301-319.

Rutzler, K., D. Santavy and A. Antonius (1983). “The black band disease
of Atlantic reef corals. III. Distribution, ecology and development.”
PSZNI: Marine Ecology 4: 329-358.

Santavy, D. L. and E. C. Peters (1997). “Microbial pests: Coral disease
in the Western Atlantic.” Proceedings of the Eighth International Coral
Reef Symposium 1: 607-612.

Smith, G.W., L.D. Ives, I.A. Nagelkerken and K.B. Ritchie (1996).
“Aspergillosis associated with Caribbean sea fan mortalities.”  Nature
382: 487.

Smith, G. W., C. D. Harvell and K. Kim (1998). “Observations on the
pathogenesis of sea fans infected with Aspergillus sp.” Revista de
Biología Tropical 46(Supplement 5): 205-208.

Taylor, D. (1983). “The black band disease of Atlantic reef corals. II.
Isolation, cultivation, and growth of Phormidium corallyticum.
P.S.Z.N.I.: Marine Ecology.” 4: 320-328.

Williams, E. and L. Bunkley-Williams (1990). “The world-wide coral reef
bleaching cycle and related sources of coral mortality.” Atoll Research
Bulletin 335: 1:71.