Honduran Bleaching

Al Strong astrong at nesdis.noaa.gov
Thu May 11 11:18:08 EDT 2000

Coral-List,

I am not surprised with John Ware's assessment of Honduras reefs in the Bay
Island area for 1998.
The region around Roatan shows rather small thermal accumulations (DHWs = 4
to 5...not the
8 - 9 levels seen around the most southern Belizean reefs -- close to
critical for "recovery" vs "mortality").

http://psbsgi1.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/PSB/EPS/icg/wsub.10.31.1998.gif

Based on our satellite assessment of accumulated thermal (SST) stress during
that period in Sep-Nov 1998,
I would be surprised to see any major damage from bleaching with the one
possible exception being the northern
reefs of Nicaragua (around Cabazes)....any info?

AE Strong

**** <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< *******
Alan E. Strong
Phys Scientist/Oceanographer