Light meter

Juan Torres jltorres38 at hotmail.com
Mon May 15 19:15:03 EDT 2000

Hi Toni,
I have personally used the LiCor 1400 data logger with a surface cosine
collector and the underwater cosine collector Li-192SA for measuring Ed
(PAR) in coastal waters in Puerto Rico and it works very fine. One bug of
its program, is that the data is retrieved continuosly (do not separate the
UW measures and the surface ones in two separates columns, which would be
ideal). Instead the data appears one after the other:
UW
surface
UW
surface, etc, in one single column so you have to either create a simple
program to separate them both or separate them manually in excel of any
other spreadsheet. Other than these two little problems it works perfectly
for UW light measures.
I guess they are on-line.
A picture of a similar instrument can be found on: Kirk (1983,1994) Light
and photosynthesis in aquatic ecosystems, Cambridge Univ. Press.
Hope this info serves!
Juan L. Torres, MS
Bio-optical Oceanography Lab.
University of Puerto Rico