Job opportunity in Egypt
Satighe at aol.com
Satighe at aol.com
Tue May 23 17:54:40 EDT 2000
Coral Folks and Parks Folks,
Below is the Job Description/Scope of Work for a Resident Advisor on a USAID
Project in Egypt, relating to the natural resources management of the Red
Sea. I spent 18 months on the precursor to this project, so would be happy to
provide insight and details for anyone who is interested. The outgoing
person had a terrestrial-parks background, but a marine orientation is really
The position is open immediately--only serious folks able to make a year or
more committment should respond.
PLEASE DO NOT HIT REPLY---rather send me an individual email regarding the
position, or contact Ms. Stagliano (info at end) at IRG directly.
Terms of Reference - Natural Resources Policy Advisor
Position is open to a U.S. citizen or Alien Registration card holder. The
position is based in Cairo, Egypt, and reports to the EEPP (Egyptian
Environmental Policy Program) Team Leader.
The incumbent will be responsible for the management of appropriate design,
development, implementation, and analysis of natural resources management
policies, activities, and institutional strengthening measures. Particular
emphasis is to be given, but not limited to, the Red Sea ecosystem. Must
ensure coordination and collaboration with other USAID-funded EEPP
contractors, and other donor representatives, regarding natural resource
· Provide advice to the Nature Conservation Sector (NCS) of the Egyptian
Environmental Affairs Agency (EEAA) in Cairo on matters such as:
- Design and implementation of a management plan for the overall NCS,
including institutional reforms needed to make NCS more effective, and NCS
operations. Included in the management plan is to be a staffing structure,
with roles and responsibilities.
- Development of a basic training curriculum.
- Development of a Code of Conduct.
· Provide technical support to NCS in Cairo on matters such as:
- Developing a zoning plan for proposed Larger Red Sea Protected Area.
- Developing self-financing proposals for cost recovery of EEAA
operations in the Red Sea.
· Provide technical support and advice to PSU staff assigned to EEAA
Hurghada office on matters such as:
- Regulatory compliance and enforcement (including use of ranger
patrols) of nature and environmental protection laws.
- Compliance with environmental impact assessment (EIA) requirements.
· Provide technical support and advice to EEAA in Cairo on establishing
clear roles and responsibilities for implementing EIA procedures and ensuring
that impact mitigation measures are conducted with regard to developments in
and along the Red Sea.
· Provide technical support and advice to USAID and PSU staff in Egypt on
natural resources management policy issues. Ensure that several relevant
policy papers are prepared regarding natural resources management issues.
· Provide technical support and advice to other EEPP contractors regarding
natural resources policy issues.
At least Master's degree in appropriate discipline and 15 years relevant
experience in natural resources management, and EIA preparation and
compliance. Additional background desirable in law enforcement, environmental
regulatory compliance, or nature protection. Previous experience with
donor-funded projects in developing countries an advantage. Must have
excellent written and spoken English language skills.
JStagliano at IRGLTD.COM
Business Development Consultant
International Resources Group, Ltd.
1211 Connecticut Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: 202-289-0100 X3160
Stacey A. Tighe, Ph.D.
22 Charlene Court Business Tel/Fax: (401)295-7740
N. Kingstown, RI 02852 Residence Tel: (401)295-0157
E-Mail: satighe at aol.com or stighe at gso.uri.edu
More information about the Coral-list-old