Literature request for Palythoa/scleractinian interaction

Cheryl Miller cmiller at cpe.dynip.com
Thu May 25 13:07:30 EDT 2000

Hello everyone

I have been searching for literature regarding the interaction between the encrusting, mat zoanthid, Palythoa sp., and scleractinian corals.  During many dive trips in the Florida Keys and Dry Tortugas, I have observed instances where Palythoa had overgrown the underlying coral, seemingly causing the death of the coral.  Could anyone direct me to specific references regarding the relationship between the two, particularly the negative effects of Palythoa sp. on scleractinian species?  I appreciate any assistance.

Cheryl Miller
cmiller at cpe.dynip.com