Literature request for Palythoa/scleractinian interaction

Bill Burnett W.J.Burnett at newcastle.ac.uk
Fri May 26 06:16:43 EDT 2000

Cheryl,

As far as I'm aware there's not much literature on zoanthid / coral
interactions.  What tends to happen in my experience is corals die
(for whatever reason) and fast growing zoanthids occupy the space,
overgrowing the dead skeleton.  For example I've got some sites set
up in Seychelles where Palythoas are going bananas after the '98 mass
bleaching killed large swathes of the coral.  I've also seen colonies
on the GBR that cover 10's of m^2. There are whole 5m diameter
Porites shaped Palythoa colonies - I can't guess what killed the
coral but I don't think it was the zoanthid.   But once established
they're clearly long lived and must make life difficult for incoming
coral recruits.

I've not seen many examples of Palythoas overgrowing living corals -
if it happens a lot I'd be very interested.

B.
Bill Burnett   w.j.burnett at ncl.ac.uk
University of Newcastle upon Tyne