web publishing

Sir Nicholas Nuttall breef at bahamas.net.bs
Tue Nov 7 12:30:06 EST 2000

As a member of the Bahamian team who went to Bali to bid for ICRS X , I
must
back up Mrs. Armstrong's remarks that most  coral are situated near poor
countries, whose populations "coral scientists should be trying to
reach." We
need your expertise to illuminate our conservation efforts.
ICRS IX was wonderful and the message that the reefs were in dire
trouble was
picked up by the press.  I saw articles in  Newsweek and the
International
Herald Tribune.  However such an expensive exercise could be organized
produce a  more lasting impression.  Having most of the coral "brains"
in one
place surely creates an opportunity for discussion, , reporting and  the
dissemination of advice.
My dictionary of English Etymology says the word Symposium is derived
from the
Greek for fellow drinker.  A symposium, it says is a drinking party,  a
convivial meeting for discussion or a meeting for discussion.  It refers
Plato's dialogues in which Socrates and others discuss the nature of
love.
Sounds like a good idea.  Lets have an old fashioned symposium  in
Tokyo. As Jim
Bohnsack correctly commented in his presentation, most of us a driven by
our
love for the threatened beauty of the reefs.
Can ISRS arrange matters so that  the papers,  presented beforehand,
become the
foundation on which a "convivial  meeting for discussion" is based?
Our organization's locally focused mission is, To improve the symbiosis
between
the Bahamians and the reefs which protect, nourish and enrich us". ISRS
strikes
me as being potentially very powerful and  it can effect human/coral
relationships profoundly on a world scale.
Nicholas Nuttall

--
B.R.E.E.F. -- Goodwill in Action!
P.O. Box N-7776
E-mail: breef at bahamas.net.bs
501(c)(3) details: Association for the Coral Environment (ACE), Inc.
5000 Fulton Industrial Blvd., Atlanta, GA 30336
EIN: 31-1677807