Proceedings on CD and my wish

Daniel Bucher dbucher at scu.edu.au
Tue Nov 7 21:23:35 EST 2000

I like the idea of the proceedings on CD so much I don't think we should
wait for the next symposium. Like all other student participants at Bali I
will not receive a copy of the printed proceedings. Proceedings only go to
full participants, which means the they cost around US$250 (~AU$500!!),
well beyond the budget of the majority of students. Given the value of the
proceedings of previous symposia to my PhD studies, I think that students
should be a priority group to receive proceedings in some form.
What about pressing some CDs of the 2000 symposium for distribution to
student participants who will otherwise miss out on this valuable resource?
Just transfer the final manuscripts as they are submitted in MS word (I
agree with the suggestion of non-proprietary formats such as RTF or HTML
for any future CD publications, but the final manuscripts for the Bali
symposium will be submitted in MSword anyway).

To Rob and the Okinawa organisers:

I noticed at Bali that attendances dropped during the last couple of days,
and I knew of many who understandably took a day or an afternoon off to do
some sight-seeing or relaxing. Perhaps a 5-day symposuim should be more
like a 5-day cricket test match - with a scheduled rest day (straight after
the conference dinner perhaps), with organised short field trips included
in the registration fee (e.g. dive some nearby reefs, or visit an
aquaculture facility or a local research centre). Many Bali participants
didn't even leave the Nusa Dua complex except in the airport shuttle, so
for them the location of the conference was irrelevent. If Ove's format was
adopted for the bulk of the presentations, the scientific program could be
fitted into 4 days with a rest/field trip day in the middle. I think it
would be important for the field trips to have some scientific merit rather
than just be for sightseeing, but some cultural element wouldn't go astray.

Cheers, Danny

                                          *
                                        *   *
                                           +
                    DANIEL BUCHER         *

  Lecturer in Biology/Fisheries Biology/Marine Ecosystems
         School of Resource Science & Management

               SOUTHERN CROSS UNIVERSITY
      P.O. Box 157, Lismore, N.S.W. Australia, 2480
        Phone: 02 6620 3665   Fax: 02 6621 2669

   E-mail: dbucher at scu.edu.au
   web page at: http://www.scu.edu.au/staff_pages/dbucher
School web page at: http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/rsm/