Artificial Reef Program

Brinkmann, Philip E PEBrinkmann at rasgas.com.qa
Sun Nov 12 04:26:01 EST 2000

Greetings from the Arabian Gulf!

I am an Environmental Advisor for RasGas. A Liquefied Natural Gas Company in
Qatar.  Qatar is a peninsula in the Arabian Gulf on the eastern coast of
Arabia. Our company will support the construction of artificial reefs in
northern Qatar.  We would like to benefit from your experiences, both
positive and negative, in creating reefs.

I have visited the EPA web site and found basic background description of
your program. Information regarding any of your artificial reef design and
monitoring details including materials, construction, deployment and
monitoring would be helpful including case studies or project notes.

We are initially considering concrete rubble and / or tires as the
substrate.
Issues we would like to better understand include:

-  cement composition requirements (e.g. pH & microsilica use)
-  tire degradation, stability, structure

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

Philip Brinkmann
RasGas EHS Advisor

Ras Laffan Liquefied Natural Gas Company Limited
P.O. Box 24200
Doha, State of Qatar

Office:  011+974-4738-025
Mobile: 011+974-5529-685