simplistic journalism and coral mortality

tim ecott timecott at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 13 04:50:13 EST 2000

To pick up on the interchange between Ove Hoegh-Guldberg and Osha Gray
Davidson -

As a journalist I would like to add that there seems to be a fundamental
problem here. 'Bad news about the environment' is beginning to rival the
status of 'bad news about Africa' in terms of its ability to make editors
and programme makers immediately switch off and say 'we've heard it all a
thousand times, lets hear something different.'
Coral scientists (and I've interviewed a lot of them) are for once among
scientists in general - in a uniquely privileged position. They seem to
agree that the current dire state of the world's coral reefs is due to
several key and identifiably anthropogenic factors. But paramount among the
causes of mortality and bleaching in the Indian Ocean is global warming. And
yet, and yet, it doesn't take long for someone to crawl out of the woodwork
and say 'but aren't these things natural, doesn't the earth always go
through cyclical climate shifts etc etc'

Given that it is reasonably easy, in layman's terms, to convince the
'general public' that the sea is an essential component of our fragile
biosphere, then there seems only one useful end to the debate about coral
mortality - that the planet is in deep shit. As soon as people start arguing
the finer points about whether corals will last 20 years or 50 years the
debate is lost. Politicians and the 'general public' will never worry or
take action about a possible catastrophe in two generations time. Take the
current situation in Britain - we have been blessed with the worst flooding
this century - fortunately in the run up to the conference on climate change
in the Hague. Now, for once, our government has something to make them
nervous on the issue.

The CORDIO report 2000, and the evidence from NOAA and the work of Ove
Hoegh-Guldberg and all of the other research presented in Bali seems to me
to be an absolutely crucial body of evidence that something very significant
has to be done about greenhouse gases. Now, not in 30 years time.

If marine scientists think their work is worth anything then they have to be
very careful not to start arguing the finer points about how long the reefs
will survive. This is a classic case of arguing about where to put the
deckchairs on the Titanic! If you want to take the debate further than the
realm of the (very fine) coral list and get journalists who can get the
story into the public eye then please stop bickering.

We journalists are certainly 'simplistic'. It is a simple issue. The reefs
are dying and most of the world doesn't know about it - let alone care.