lengthy coral-list text and environmental valuation

Spurgeon,James JSpurgeo at gibb.co.uk
Wed Nov 22 06:38:23 EST 2000

Coral listers

Apologies for the recent lengthy text.  I agree that coral-list messages
should generally be brief and to the point.  However, the coral-list is also
a valuable means of disseminating up-to-date informative messages on
important and complex coral issues when written clearly and concisely.  I've
certainly learnt much from some lengthy contributions.

Some "busy" people may benefit from mastering the art of prioritising what
information/actions are important to them and rapidly filtering
out/rejecting the rest.

a realistic sense of optimism.

Secondly, I cannot off-hand think of any "environmental economic valuations"
that have stopped a development from going ahead, but I would imagine some
have. I know many EIAs have.  In my experience, environmental valuation
studies (even good benefit transfers) in conjunction with EIAs, can and have
pursuaded governments and project sponsors to insist that developers
undertake costly scheme mitigation measures.  On projects I have been
involved in, I have helped to justify, or am in the process of justifying:
locating developments at more expensive but more environmentally friendly
sites; adopting more expensive technology to reduce pollutant emissions;
undertaking cost-effective coral transplantations; and conducting
comprehensive but well targeted monitoring programmes etc.

Finally, can I suggest that your valuable Phillipines paper may have fallen
on deaf ears because the decision-makers could not sufficiently relate to it
in terms of what was in it for them?  I don't necessarily mean their direct
benefits, rather their potential indirect benefits.  However, yours and
other quality papers on the economic value of corals are definitely
beginning to have a major and beneficial shift in the mindset of some
influential decision-makers.  More such studies and papers are needed -
persistance pays off.

James

James Spurgeon
Principal Environmental Economist/Scientist
Gibb Ltd
Gibb House
London Rd
Reading