The Trouble with our Ocean

Ove Hoegh-Guldberg oveh at uq.edu.au
Sun Nov 26 14:25:40 EST 2000

Dear Austin,

Interesting thoughts.  You are right in saying that the research we need now
should largely focus on solutions.  However, I disagree with that your feeling
that climate change and coral bleaching are stealing the show and are an excuse
for funding scientists etc.  As has been stated in various places, climate
change represents a threat to reefs on a scale unheralded in recent times.  The
recent observation that 16% of living reef died in the 1998 thermal event is a
hint of the scale of the issue - not even Crown-of-Thorns never ate 16% of reefs
in a single year!  While saying this, I also feel it is important not to forget
the other urgent issues that face reefs.  While climate change may distract (yet
must be also understood), we do need to consider how it will modify the
resilience of reefs faced by other stresses. As has also been stated variously,
rising sea temperatures are likely to make reefs even more sensitive to other
stresses.  This said, the added stress of climate change should increase not
decrease our concern and efforts to manage/protect reefs from the other more
local scale stresses (pollution, nutrients, destructive fishing etc.).

Regards,

Ove

Professor Ove Hoegh-Guldberg
Director, Centre for Marine Studies