Seeking coral reef researchers for educational website

lfoote lfoote at maui.net
Tue Nov 28 11:22:22 EST 2000

Dear subscribers of the Coral Health and Monitoring Program List,

I am the president and founder of Project S.E.A.-LINK. We are a nonprofit
organization based in Maui, Hawaii, and our mission is to promote marine
Science, Education, and Awareness. Our goal is to provide a LINK between
students, teachers, scientists, the local community, the general public,
other nonprofit organizations, and governmental agencies.

I would like to invite the coral reef research community to participate
in the educational website I am currently developing. The site will be a
resource for students and teachers, and will feauture a section where
scientists and their work will be profiled. Students may write in
questions, and teachers will be able to download curricular materials
based on the researchers' work.

I would especially like to feature coral reef researchers' profiles on
the site. To become profiled, just answer some questions about your
career and philosophy about science via our questionnaire, and provide
photo(s). If you wish, you may also participate in other opportunities
such as a question/answer board or other more direct interactions with
students and science classrooms around the country.

The questionnaire and instructions are provided below. You may also write
to profiles at projectsealink.org to request PDF and Word versions.

If you have any specific questions, please send a message directly to me.

Thank you very much!

Liz Foote, President, Project S.E.A.-LINK
president at projectsealink.org

INSTRUCTIONS

Please answer the following questions. You may send your responses by
email or through regular mail.

email: profiles at projectsealink.org
Mailing Address: Project S.E.A.-LINK; 3740 Lower Honoapiilani Hwy. D206;
Lahaina, HI  96761
Contact: Liz Foote, President (president at projectsealink.org).

Questions for Web Profile:
1. Name.
2. Job Title.
3. Degree(s) held and from where.
4. Brief description of your job.
5. Briefly describe the project(s) you are currently working on.
6. Explain how/why your job is important to society.
7. How did you end up doing what you¹re doing?
8. Were you inspired by anyone in particular? If so, who, and how did
he/she influence your career choice?
9. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?
10. If you could change one aspect of your job, what would it be?
11. Describe the most fun and exciting experience you have had during
your career.
12. Describe the most disappointing or frustrating experience you have
had during your career.
13. What do you like to do on your days off?
14. What advice would you give to a student who is thinking about
pursuing a career similar to yours?
15. Can you recommend any particular educational programs/internships,
etc. that will help students prepare for a career like yours?

Additional Information Requested:

*Please attach your current C.V/Resume, and add on any additional
educational experiences (such as summer camps, internships, or other
programs--through high school and earlier, if applicable) which helped
you prepare for your career. These will be linked directly from the
website.

*Please attach a photo of yourself. Additional photos are welcomed, the
more action-oriented the better. You may send a jpeg file to the email
address above, or the photo can be sent by US mail to the postal address
above.

*Please indicate whether you would like your email address posted with
your profile.

*Please indicate whether you would be interested in answering students¹
questions as relayed by the Project S.E.A.-LINK webmaster (students will
not contact you directly).

*Please indicate whether you would be interested in participating in
Project S.E.A.-LINK¹s Online Mentoring Program or Classroom Connection
Program.

 *For Project S.E.A.-LINK¹s records, please provide your address
(home/work), phone number, and email address.