Rigs to Reefs Program

reskudiver at aol.com reskudiver at aol.com
Tue Oct 24 00:11:40 EDT 2000

    My name is Drew Morris and I am currently a law student at the Penn State
University, Dickinson School of Law. I am also an associate editor of the
Dickinson Journal of Environmental Law and Policy.  I am doing research on
rigs to reef programs, specifically the legislation S.B. 241 in California -
the leaving of Oil rigs in the water as a means of preserving the artificial
reefs.

    I am beginning to gain a true understanding of the issues presented her.
Although I am ignorant to most of the Biology involved, I have read (and
attempted to understand) numerous reports of the Gulf rigs to reef programs
and the positive environmental and ecological effects that the program is
having.  I understand that the Pacific Ocean is a whole "beast" in and of its
own, and very little study has been done on this topic in that geographic
area.  I have some information on some preliminary studies regarding this
subject, and as it looks now, both the rainforest analogy as well as the
minimal scientific data avaliable makes it look like a positive environmental
plan.  What do all of you think? I need some help.

    I have dug up the necessary federal and state statutes regarding the
legal ability to do this kind of program.  It looks like it can fly from that
standpoint.  I can not, however, find any case law regarding any kind of
liability that can be imposed here, heck I can't even figure out what kind of
legal problems can arise because the State is suggesting a "no-take" area for
the fishes with the exception of a special scientific research permit.

    As an active member of R.E.E.F., an avid scuba diver, and a "want-to-be"
marine biologist, I am fascinated by all sides of this issue and want to
present all sides of the issue fairly.  I hope that you can help me.  Thank
you very much.

            Sincerely,

                Drew A. Morris
                reskudiver at aol.com