Introducing myself, and coralomorpharians query

Tim Pickering Pickering_T at usp.ac.fj
Tue Oct 31 00:04:27 EST 2000

Hello Coral-listers

Most of you are doubtless rather jet-lagged and conferenced-out
right now, nevertheless I am writing in just to introduce myself as a
new member of this list, and to ask a question about identification
of coralomorpharians.

My name is Tim Pickering, I am on the staff as Lecturer in
Aquaculture at Marine Studies Programme, The University of the
South Pacific, and based in Fiji.  Several others at USP are
interested n corals, as you'd expect, and were in Bali last week.  I
am new to the field, and approaching the subject from the
aquaculture end of things in response to increasing interest among
our post-graduate students in coral ecology, aquarium trade, and
aquaculture.

One postgraduate student from Vanuatu, Mr Kalo Pakoa, has
begun a 1-semester project on coralomorph propagation, using
specimens kindly supplied by Walt Smith International and referred
to by them (perhaps loosely) as Discosoma sp.  Being complete
novices at coralomorph taxonomy, my student and I just wanted to
ask if anyone on this list could, off-the-cuff, let me know the names
of the key people in that field, that we ought to make  contact with
or obtain the published works of, in order to verify the name we
should be calling this crittur.

Thanks

TIM