Corals and human disturbance

Nicolas J. Pilcher nick at tualang.unimas.my
Fri Sep 1 23:07:01 EDT 2000

Hi Folks:
Could anybody point me in the correct direction for authoritative
publications on corals and human disturbance, other than Bernart Salvat's
(ed.)

Human impacts on coral reefs. I am trying to make an updated listing of
human impacts on coral reefs. My draft list is as below. Any comments,
additions would be welcome.

Thanks and regards,
Nick

Collection of corals
	Construction
	Jewelry
	Aquarium industry (including bringing corals to surface just to get the
fish)
	Decoration
	Souvenirs
Destructive Fishing
	Blast Fishing
	Cyanide Fishing
	Muro Ami
Discharges
	Untreated sewage
	Abattoir refuse
		Petroleum hydrocarbons
		Drilling muds
		Refineries
	Oil Spills
	Industrial effluents
	Heavy metals
	Cooling brine
	Chlorinated effluents
	Radioactivity
	Cement dust
Solid waste dumping
	Plastics, metal containers, wood, tyres, cars
Construction
	Coastal reclamation
	Port development
	Dredging
		Deepening ports and navigation channels
		Direct churning of water by dredger propellers
		Direct coral removal
	Sedimentatation
	Construction of marinas (Saudi)
Recreation
	Flipper damage
	Anchor damage
Shipping and Port Activities
	Groundings
	Discharges
		Sewage
		Solid waste
		Bilge water
		Ballast water
		Fertilisers, phosphate, manganese and bauxite spills
War Related
	Oil spills
	Target practice
	Development of military bases
Indirect
	Global warming and bleaching
	Agricultural practices in the runoff of fertilisers and pesticides
	Logging and erosion in the form of sedimentation

Nicolas J. Picher, PhD
Shell Research Fellow
Institute of Biodiversity and Environmental Conservation
University Malaysia Sarawak
94300 Kota Samarahan
Sarawak, Malaysia

Tel. ++ 60 82 671000 Ext 181/257