FW: Earth Day

The Barbados Marine Trust bmtrust at sunbeach.net
Thu Apr 19 12:30:28 EDT 2001

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	The Barbados Marine Trust [mailto:bmtrust at sunbeach.net]
<mailto:[mailto:bmtrust at sunbeach.net]>
Sent:	Thursday, April 19, 2001 11:23 AM
To:	Sam Lord's Castle; Kerry-Ann Jones; Port St. Charles;
.news at cbcbarbados.com.bb <mailto:.news at cbcbarbados.com.bb> ;
advocate at sunbeach.net <mailto:advocate at sunbeach.net>
Subject:	FW: Earth Day

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	The Barbados Marine Trust [mailto:bmtrust at sunbeach.net]
<mailto:[mailto:bmtrust at sunbeach.net]>
Sent:	Thursday, April 19, 2001 10:29 AM
To:	info at rpv.cphotels.ca <mailto:info at rpv.cphotels.ca> ; Accra Beach
Hotel; Almond Beach Club/Village; Bagshot House; Blue Horizon Hotel;
Blythwood Apts; Britta Pollard; Cacrabank Apts; Casuarina Beach Hotel; Club
Rockley Barbados; Colony Club Hotel; Coral Reef Club; Coral Sands; Crane
Beach Hotel; Crystal Cove Hotel; Discovery Bay Hotel; Gill Whitley; Gordon
Seale; Leif Brandel; Little Bay Hotel; Mark O' Hara; Paul Doyle; Sandy Beach
Hotel; Settlers Beach; Coral Sands; Crane Beach Hotel; Crystal Cove Hotel;
Discovery Bay Hotel; Gill Whitley; Gordon Seale; Leif Brandel; Little Bay
Hotel; Mark O' Hara; Paul Doyle; Sandy Beach Hotel; Settlers Beach; Sierra
Beach; Silver Rock; Silver Sands; Southern Palms; Steve Gittings; Tamarind
Cove; Time Out at the Gap; Treasure Beach; Trevor Ramsey; Turtle Beach;
Woodville; Worthing Court; Yellow Bird Hotel; mbabb at sandylane.com
<mailto:mbabb at sandylane.com> ; news at cbcbarbados.bb.com
<mailto:news at cbcbarbados.bb.com>
Cc:	Environmentbarbados; Andre Miller; Wendy Rudder; Terry Ally; Dr.
Renata Goodridge; JAMES H BLADES; b.h.t.a [bhta at inaccs.com.bb]
Subject:	Earth Day

Earth Day 2001
 Thousands of divers and marine enthusiasts all over the world are
celebrating Earth Day 2001 with a splash. The second annual Dive In To Earth
Day will be celebrated in over 42 countries with hundreds of water-based
conservation activities taking place during the week of Earth Day, April
15-22. For the past thirty one years, most Earth Day activities have taken
place on land, which is why Dive In To Earth Day was created: to call
attention to the fact that the Earth is 72% covered by water and we need
clean water to have a healthy planet.
Last year the Coral Reef Alliance (CORAL), U.S.A. created and coordinated
the Dive In project with support from other marine environmental groups, the
scuba diving industry, divers, community groups, scientists, teachers,
aquariums and other aquatic enthusiasts. Back by popular demand, CORAL is
again coordinating Dive In. Hundreds of organizers all over the world are
pitching in by creating local Dive In To Earth Day activities. Some of these
activities include underwater cleanups, reef surveys, mooring buoy
installations, fish counts, beach and shore cleanups, glass bottom boat and
tide pool explorations, and kids art contests.
 Here in Barbados volunteers are joining this global campaign.
The Barbados Marine Trust has organized events in recognition of Earth Day
on Sunday 22nd April
Reef Checks will be carried out on reefs in the following areas :
*	Sandy Beach, St. Lawrence
*	Coconut Court/ Asta Patch Reef, Hastings
*	Carlisle bay
*	Treasure Beach , St. James
*	Vauxhall Fringing Reef
*	Fisherman's Bank Reef, Holetown,
*	Maycocks St. Peter

	Volunteer Divers will dive these reefs to gather data to submit to
"Reef Check" to be included in their reports on the status of Coral Reefs
worldwide. This information is crucial to climatologists currently studying
global warming since the coral reefs are the single biggest indicators of
Global Climatic Change
	Several hotels have already agreed (Coconut Court, Casuarina, Royal
Pavilion/ Glitter bay, Treasure beach) to arrange beach clean-ups on that
day and we are appealing to those of you with beach front properties to
organize a similar activity. Please contact me as soon as possible in order
that I might add your names to the list, to go to Earthwatch.
Our involvement in Earth day activities will help to put Barbados on the
map, in terms of  both diving and eco-tourism. It is also an important
contribution to the protection and enhancement of our marine environment
which has, for too long been neglected.
For more information about Dive In To Earth Day, visit
http://divein.coralreefalliance.org <http://divein.coralreefalliance.org>
or e-mail divein at coral.org <mailto:divein at coral.org> .
For more information about event in Barbados  please contact Loreto
Duffy-Mayers at Barbados Marine Trust, Coconut Court beach Hotel, Garrison
Historic area, Hastings, Christ Church. Tel;427-1655
# # #