Coral Spawning

Alina M. Szmant szmanta at uncwil.edu
Thu Aug 9 10:59:55 EDT 2001

Hi Bernardo:

We were out nites of 5, 6 ,7 and 8 on A palmata patches on Horseshoe reef,
Key Largo .  We saw no activity on first 2 nites,  4-5 colonies had small
patches of bundle formation on the 7th of Aug (minor spawning, some bundles
in water), and ca. 50 % of colonies spawning on Aug 8th.  Spawning was ca.
10:30 to 11:00 (bundle formation from ca. 9:45 to 10:30 pm).  It was very
surgy and difficult to collect spawn.

What % of your colonies did you see spawn?

Best,

Alina

  At 03:48 PM 8/7/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Subject: Coral spawning event
>
>Date:   6 August 2001
>
>Location: Acropora cervicornis thickets off Ft. Lauderdale, FL,
>depth 3.3
>meters
>
>Sea conditions: Winds E - NE 10-12 knots, seas with moderate
>chop, 2-4 ft.;
>southerly current, 0.75 kts, estimated. Thick layer of brackish
>inshore
>water delivered by inlets due to recent heavy rain events.
>
>Report: Colonies of Acropora cervicornis released egg-sperm
>bundles around
>22:15h-22:30h.
>

>Bernardo Vargas-Angel
>

>========================
>Bernardo Vargas-Angel
>Research Scientist
>National Coral Reef Institute
>NSU Oceanographic Center
>8000 N. Ocean Drive
>Dania Beach, FL 33004
>Phone: (954) 262-3677
>Fax: (954) 262-4027
>~~~~~~~
>For directions on subscribing and unsubscribing to coral-list or the
>digests, please visit www.coral.noaa.gov, click on Popular on the
>menu bar, then click on Coral-List Listserver.

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Center for Marine Science
University of North Carolina at Wilmington
One Marvin K. Moss Lane
Wilmington NC 28409
TEL:  (910)962-2362 FAX:  (910)962-2410
email:  szmanta at uncwil.edu