Potential Bleaching expands

Alan E Strong Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
Thu Aug 16 17:05:40 EDT 2001

So far Palau has only accumulated 1.5 Degree Heating Weeks:
http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/dhw_news.html

Although a considerable region of elevated SSTs are still lingering
to the north of Palau, in the vicinity of Okinawa, these high SSTs
have showed no progress southward recently toward Palau....let's hope
this continues.

The SST time-series for Palau can be observed at:
http://orbit-net.nesdis.noaa.gov/orad/sub/sst_series_24reefs.html

Cheers,
Al

John naughton wrote:

> Alan:
>
> Good news from Palau.  I just returned last night.  We saw no indication of
> bleaching, at least in the areas where we dove.  I also talked to a number of
> the dive charter guides and they have seen nothing of significance as yet.
> Also, the temperatures are normal at approx 83 F.  Very unlike further north
> in the Northern Marianas where we observed bleaching last month, and water
> temps of 85 to 87 F, as I reported earlier.
>
> Aloha,  John
>
> John naughton wrote:
>
> > Alan:
> >
> > I'll be conducting surveys in Palau in conjunction with the US Coop.
> > Agency Team for the Palau Compact Road Project, Aug 6-15.  Will keep an
> > eye open for potential bleaching, from the inner lagoon areas to the outer
> > barrier reef face.
> > Keep you posted.               Aloha,       John
> >
> > John Naughton
> > Pacific Islands Area Office
> > NMFS, Honolulu
> >
> > Alan E Strong wrote:
> >
> > > NOTICE:

> > > using information our satellite obtained during the past weekend, we
> > > observe the following changes in the present bleaching situation:
> > >
> > > *Okinawa -- increased SSTs (approaching 32 deg C in some areas)
> > > Saipan/Guam -- staying more to the north in the Northern Mariana's
> > > Midway - still showing signs of development from the west
> > > Palmyra - new area just west of the Line Islands
> > > Bahamas - SSTs increasing to the west of Great Exuma over the Bank
> > >
> > > http://psbsgi1.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/PSB/EPS/SST/dhw_news.html
> > > http://psbsgi1.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/PSB/EPS/SST/climohot.html
> > >
> > > Feedback appreciated...
> > >
> > > AES
> > >
> > > --
> > > **** <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< *******
> > > Alan E. Strong
> > > Phys Scientist/Oceanographer
> > >   NOAA/NESDIS/ORA/ORAD -- E/RA3
> > >   NOAA Science Center -- RM 711W
> > >   5200 Auth Road
> > >   Camp Springs, MD 20746-4304
> > >         Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
> > >              301-763-8102 x170
> > >       FAX: 301-763-8108
> > >   http://orbit-net.nesdis.noaa.gov/orad

--
Alan E. Strong
Acting Chief, Oceanic Research & Applications Division
Team Leader, Marine Applications Science Team (MAST)
        Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
             301-763-8102 x170
              FAX: 301-763-8108
  http://orbit-net.nesdis.noaa.gov/orad